Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D CAN SOME ONE TELL ME THE EXACT LOCATION WHERE AT ON THE FRONT FENDERS DOES THESE 6.5 EMBLEMS GO . I HAVE A 67 GT . THESE 6.5 EMBLEMS CAME WITH THE CAR ,THE FENDERS WERE REPLACE SO THERE ARE NO HOLES WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR ,CAN SOME ONE TELL ME THE MEASUREMENT WERE I DRILL THE HOLES AT .THANKS

·
Registered
96 Posts
if your car is a GT, it should have "GT" emblems, not "6.5" emblems. somebody with more knowledge can correct me, but I think the 6.5 was available without getting the GT package.
as far as location, somebody should be able to give you measurements from edges of fender.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The 6.5 litre emblems to th
e best of my knowledge only on the 68 "X" code cougars. But if you have a 390 in your car and are not showing it put them on. One of the ford/mustang magazines did an article on emblem placement. If I can find it I will let you know what issue.

Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
The GT package was actually a different 390 than the 6.5 litre. The 6.5 litre had the standard 2 barrel low compression 390, while the GT's had a special cam (I think it's the same as the 428 CJ), 4 barrel carb (735 CFM?), and different heads (not sure about the differences in the heads, though).

I took the measurements for the actual holes' locations on the fender of a 68 Cougar XR-7 with the 6.5 litre badges on it. The holes themselves are 3/16 inches in diameter and there are a total of four individual holes in the fender for the badge. The centers for the holes in the top row are 5 1/2 inches and 7 1/16 inches from the edge of the fender closest to the door and 13 7/16 inches from the top of the edge of the fender. The centers for the holes in the bottom row are 5 1/8 inches and 7 9/16 inches from the edge of the fender closest to the door and 14 1/4 inches from the top of the edge of the fender.

Please check the fender of your car for yourself to see if my measurements are 100% correct. I took them with an alluminum tape measurer at 11:15 p.m. I double checked them, but you should check them out yourself to make sure that they are correct. Hell, if they aren't 100% then they're awfully damn close.

Tom Arnold

·
Read Only
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THE 68 6.5 litre badges THEY ARE DIFFERENT IN SIZE FOR 68 THEN IN 67 I THINK. MY BADGES ARE ABOUT 1'' WIDE AND MAYBE 3''TO 4'' LONG AND I HAVE TWO STUDS ON THE BACK NOT 4 .I NEED THE MEASUREMENT FOR THE 67 6.5 WITH 2 STUDS .THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU DID BUT I THINK 68 ARE NOT THE SAME ..THANKS CATMANDO

·
Read Only
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MY CAT IS A GT ,I HAVE OVER $$$$10,000 INVESTED SO FAR IN THIS CAT ..THESE EMBLEMS WHERE IN THE BOX OF PARTS ,I DO HAVE THE GT EMBLEMS ON THE FENDERS ,I THINK IT WOULD LOOK GREAT TO HAVE THE 6.5 EMBLEMS ON IT TO. WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK .THANKS CATMANDO

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I had your GT, I would just leave the "GT" emblems without the 6.5 badge, but that's just me.

there is a difference in the heads between a GT 390 and a regular 2v 390. I think one way to tell if yours has the GT heads is the bolt pattern of the exhaust manifold. I think the regular heads just had two bolts/studs per exhaust port, whereas the GT heads are medium rise heads and have three bolts/studs per exhaust port, with the front and back ports' top bolt holes being lower than the middle two.
bmaker

·
Registered
488 Posts
wow!

all i can say is wow! this thread got mis-directed and full of misisnformation fast. all 67 390's are S code 4 barrel but not all 390 cars have the GT package. if you do not have the GT package then your car got 6.5 litre emblems. the 67 emblems are different than the 68 but the same info applies. 68's were available with a 2 barrel X code but all 67-69 390's have the same head exhaust bolt pattern and GT style manifolds (it wouldn't fit in the car otherwise). i can't tell you where the emblem mounts as my 6.5's are all S code 68's (XR7-G's, and no they don't have the GT emblems) but i can tell you your car is not a GT if it came with those emblems. hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
What Tom (hawkrod) says is correct, I would add that the only way to prove an "S" code Cougar is a GT for sure is by purchasing the report from Kevin Marti.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The X code 390s did not have lower compression just a different cam, intake and carb. 2 inch dual exhaust were used as well.

It doesnt take a lot of work to make an X code 390 perform well...

Ken

·
11,000 Posts
The X code cars are a blast to drive stock. Mountains of tire melting low end torque. That low, beefey, burbling exhaust! Got to go outside and start up one of my cars now that I got excited over this.........

·
11,000 Posts
Hey it's 18 degrees here in Cincinnati with a lot of snow on the ground. I can only start them, have to wait until all the salt is gone to drive one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
BRRR!

of course feel free to check the weather report but it was a brisk 72 here on the beach in Santa Cruz yesterday! i knew there was a reason i lived in the land of fruits and nuts. LOL hawkrod

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have some research to do then, if the heads of x and s code 390's are the same. I have hooker headers installed on my 390, the top bolts on the front and rear exhuast ports on both sides are lower than the middle two, and lower than on the header. I figured that the PO puchased the wrong headers from hooker, since I was under the impression (wrongly I am finding out!) that the S code had medium rise heads as opposed to low rise heads on X codes, therefore possibly making the exhaust manifold bolt patterns different.
maybe I have heads from a different FE engine?...or hooker messed up, back in the early 80's when my headers were manufactured?
I am interested in this, I would like to know exactly what I have!
for those interested you can see a pic of my engine in the owner's gallery.
boilermaker.

·
Registered
488 Posts
GT heads

all 66-69 GT heads have the outer two top bolt holes lower than the middle two. if your header flange has all 4 holes at the same height then they are for CJ heads. most headers have sloted outer holes to fit both even though exhaust ports are not the same and some nasty mismatch can occur. hawkrod

·
Read Only
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HERE IS A LITTLE INFO I FOUND OUT BETWEEN THE TW0. BUT MY CAR IS A GT S CODE AND IS REGISTERED IN THE COUGAR GT REGISTEY. JUST NEED TO KNOW WERE THESE 6.5 GOES , I AM THINKING THAT I MIGHT NOT ADD THEM TO THE FENDERS BUT STILL WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE MEASUREMENTS WERE THE HOLES GO, THANKS TO ALL INFO CATMANDO..
1967 6.5 Litre Badges

1967 & 1968 6.5 Litre

The 1967 and 1968 Cougar 6.5 Litre started as either a base model or XR-7, then has the "6.5 Litre Engine Option" added.

The 6.5 Litre Engine Option included the following advertised items:

67: 320 hp (325 hp in 68) Marauder 390 GT V-8 Engine (6.5 litre) with 600 CFM Holley Model 4150 Carburetor and 10.5:1 compression ratio. Includes chrome Dress-Up kit - Air Filter Cover, Engine Valve Covers, Oil Fill Cover/Crank Case Breather, Engine oil Dipstick Handle, and Autolite 13 pound Radiator Cap. -OR- 280 hp 390-2V V-S "X code" Engine in 68 with Autolite 2-barrel Carburetor.
Low restriction Air Filter
67: Normal restriction dual exhaust with acoustically tuned Mufflers. Oval resonators (not round as in GT option) were mounted in intermediate Pipes with transverse Muffler behind rear axle. Exhaust outlets "standard" - no chrome tips, etc. 68: Low restriction dual exhaust system. Intermediate Pipes with Mufflers followed by outlet Pipes over axle and then directly to rear Valance Panel. Transverse Muffler behind rear axle used on 1967 390 engine was deleted for 1968. Exhaust outlets "standard" - no chrome tips, etc. Two inch diameter Pipes throughout system on 390 Engine models.
Power booster (clutch) Fan.
"6.5 Litre" ornaments on front Fender sides.
1968 6.5 Litre Badge

Required and Optional Equipment

The 6.5 Litre Engine Option required an optional transmission - heavy duty 3-speed manual ($79.00), 4-speed manual $184.02), or C-6 (heavy duty) 3-speed automatic transmission ($215.99).
A 9-inch ring gear, removable differential carrier, rear axle design was used on the 6.5 litre Engine option.
The 6.5 Litre Engine Option could be ordered with any option available on the standard Cougar except for the GT Performance Group Option that included this Engine.
The 6.5 Litre Engine Option also included the following, non-advertised items:

Rubber Seal stapled to top of Radiator Support. Sealed-off air flow between top of Radiator Support and hood for improved Engine cooling.
Battery "L" shaped Heat Shield and Fan Shroud added, when air conditioning option selected.

A 1968 XR-7 GT

Owned by Phil Parcells

1967 & 1968 GT

The 1967 & 1968 Cougar GT started as either a base model or XR-7, then has the "GT Performance Group Option" added.

GT Performance Group Option included the following advertised items:

67: 320 hp / 68: 325 hp Marauder 390 GT V-S Engine (6.5 litre) with 600 CFM Holley Model 4150 Carburetor and 10.5:1 compression ratio. Includes chrome Dress-Up kit - Air Filter Cover, Engine Valve Covers, oil fill cover/crank case breather, Engine Oil Dipstick handle, and Autolite 13 pound Radiator Cap
In 1968: the 428 CJ "Cobra Jet" Engine as an extra cost upgrade. Includes chrome Dress-Up kit and appropriate Ram Air Intake. See R-code & GTE sections for more details. Engine code in VIN is R (8F91R, or 8F93R). Unusual option in 1968 GT.
Low restriction Air Filter.
67: Low restriction dual exhaust with acoustically tuned Mufflers. Two 3 1/2 inch diameter by approx. 20 inch long resonators in intermediate Pipes with transverse Muffler behind rear axle. Intermediate Pipes forward of resonators are three inches longer than Mustang 390 GT Pipes due to Cougar longer wheel base. 68: Low restriction dual exhaust system. Intermediate Pipes with Mufflers followed by outlet Pipes over axle and then directly to rear Valance Panel. Transverse Muffler behind rear axle used on 1967 OT was deleted for 1968. Exhaust outlets "standard" - no chrome tips, etc. Two inch diameter Pipes throughout system on 390 GT Engine models.
Power booster (clutch) Fan.
Power front Disc Brakes. 1967 Cougar uses 4-piston fixed (non-floating) caliper design. 1968 Cougar uses single piston fixed (floating) caliper design.
(Firestone) Wide-Oval nylon-cord F70- 14 Red (late 67 model year option) or White side wall Tires.
Special (Black painted steel) Wheels with 6 inch wide rims. 67 Styled Steel Wheel option had 5 1/2 inch wide rims, 68 Style Steel wheels had 6 inch wide rims since 5 1/2 inch wide Wheels will not fit over 1968 front Disc Brake Caliper.
Performance handling package: including stiffer front and Rear Springs, heavy duty Shock Absorbers, large diameter (0.84 inch diameter versus 0.72 inch diameter standard) front suspension Stabilizer Bar and faster manual steering (20.3:1 ratio versus standard 25.3:1 ratio). Fast 20.3:1 steering- standard with Power Steering option. 20.3 ratio steering is approx. 3.6 turns lock to lock versus 4.5 turns on 25.3:1 ratio.
GT ornaments or letters on Fender sides. GT rectangle badge used until somewhere between production dates 22L (11/22/66) and 28A (1/28/67), and individual GT letters used late model year and all of 1968.
Required and Optional Equipment:

The GT Performance Group Option required an optional transmission - heavy duty 3-speed manual, 4-speed manual, or C-6 (heavy duty) 3-speed automatic transmission.
A 9-inch ring gear removable differential carrier rear axle design was used on the GT option.
The GT could be ordered with any option available on the standard Cougar except for the 320 hp 390 GT V8 Engine (6.5 Litre fender badges), performance handling package, front Disc Brakes, or Wide Oval F70- 14 Tires as stand alone options. These options were included in the GT Performance Group. Also, Wire Wheel Covers were unavailable on GTs (and Wide Oval Tire option vehicles) sold in the State of Pennsylvania.
The GT Performance Group Option also included the following non-advertised items:

Rubber seal stapled to top of Radiator Support. Sealed off air flow between top of Radiator Support and hood for improved Engine cooling.
Battery "L" shaped Heat Shield and Fan Shroud added, when air conditioning option selected.
Rear Brake Proportioning Valve mounted in rear Brake line before rear Axle Brake Hose part of Disc Brake option (67 only).

·
11,000 Posts
Hey boilermaker there is one difference between 1968 "X" code 390 and "S" code 390GT heads. The 390GT had smog holes drilled in the heads, the "X" codes did not. Thermactor smog pump and associated plumbing was a 50 state requirement in 1968 for the 390 GT engines. The "X" code engines did not receive smog pumps because the 2V Autolite carb ran clean enough without it.

Also, the 390GT heads had slightly stiffer valve springs. They were still pure crap from a performance standpoint, if you still have the original springs I recommend you throw them in the trash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts