Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of questions for you folks.
Can a dual four barrel be put on a 351W or three two barrels and the big question is should they be?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sure, if you can find an intake manifold..
But, for the money you would be better off with a single four barrel. Dual quads are a little much for the street and 6 packs are horrors to keep in adjustment. And I wont mention the gas milege..

Bruce

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mielage equals BIG SMILEAGE!:D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You must have heard the line "passes everything but a gas station" lol

Bruce

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But that isn't important when your having that much fun:D
John B.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
they dont make a dual 4 for a 351W. you'll have to use a 302 intake and spacers, but they are out there. I had a dual 4 on my 289 Fairlane for a week, major fun, but a pain to get right, even with 2 500cfm carters. But the comments I got was interesting :D

Rick

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
AHHH, But they do make a duel 4 bbl. intake for the 351w;
check out Holman and Moody. i almost bought one. I did buy one for the 67 Cougar Vintage Trans Am racer.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
For the money you'd spend (to buy it all new you'd have close a grand in it) why not buy one of the smalled under hood B&M superchargers or a paxton (for carbs). WAY more power and cool sound too!!! Should I say " A bigger bang for your buck!" :lol2:

Scott

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you are looking for max power, every test I've read about in magazines shows that a quality 4 bbl on a high rise dual plane intake will make more power than 2 4's or a 6 pack.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
not to mention syncing carbs sucks big time! that was one of the biggest reasons i rode harleys because i hated to sync the carbs on my triumph and earleir my honda. way more trouble than i care to mess with. i agree more bang for the buck with the paxton but you will have to do more work dropping the compresion ratio and some lower end work to build it up for better performance. Besides you will be adding way to much carb to the engine. unless your in the 450 and up HP range and really im stretching it with the 450 it really would take much more HP to really warrant it. course they do look kewl but a street dominator in the 650 to 750 will perform with a basically stock engine. course you didnt go into the whole thing with this engine as to what your planning and how much HP your going to be pushing or if it is a track car only so allot of this is subjective.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
merely speculation on my part. As of right now I don't plan on doing anything to the engine for at least a year.
John B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts