Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting started on collecting parts for my 408W + overdrive stick combination for my 1969 standard. I started getting quotes from the usual suspects (American Powertrain & Keisler). BTW, I am starting with a 351W FMX combination.

I'm kind of surprized by the minimal difference in cost ($500) between the 5 and 6 speed options. I am aware that the trans tunnel needs to be clearanced and patched behind the shifter for the T56 or the engine/trans need to be dropped an inch with special mounts. Since I intend to lower the car and my driveway is hard to get a low car in and out of I would be leaning away from the engine dropping solution, since that would also lower the exhaust. Aside from the 6200 max shifting rpm with the TKO600 and the lack of 6th gear, I'm not seeing a big downside to the 5 speed, but the pricing seems closer to the T56 than I would expect.

Anyone done the TKO600 or the T56 in a 1969 Cat? Care to share your experiences? Any other sources I should consider?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ed,

Only comment I have is keep in mind that a 6 speed is actually a 4 speed with 2 overdrive gears. I did not realize this until recently. The TKO's are 4 speeds with one overdrive.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I've thought about a 6 speed as well, but since I will have a normal cougar, and not a "super cougar" I am going to stick with a five speed. My 68 with T5 is way under geared at 3.50. I need a 3.89 or so, to really take advantage of the engine and overdrive...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone done the TKO600 or the T56 in a 1969 Cat? Care to share your experiences? Any other sources I should consider?
I purchased a TKO-600 for my 70 Cougar from Keisler earlier this year. It took about two months to arrive. They’ll ship you everything but the driveshaft at first, you have to take measurements and then it’s supposed to be a two week wait. I’m having a shop install it since the car is there getting a new floor pan and some other work done. I can comment better on it in a few months when the cars back together.

I had spoken to Chris at Keisler and he was real helpful in making a recommendation for my needs after asking the specifics… HP, diff ratio, etc, and what/how I plan on using the car. For me, I had been debating about going with the TKO-500 or 600. I ended up choosing the 600 mainly because of the gear ratio and I’m building the car for the street with maybe the occasional trip to the track. In deciding to go with a 5 over a 6 speed, I had to ask myself what my expectations and goals are with the car. Either one would've been a major step up from the FMX.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided on a TKO600 with a Quicktime scattershield and conventional clutch linkage. Not sure which of the sources its coming from.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Both great choices for manual transmissions and I hear lots of great things about the 600. I've got a T56 Magnum in my Cobra and at 100mph with 3.73 gears she revs at 3,000rpm. What spline did you get?

What kind of clutch are you going to get? I would recommend checking out a McLeod RST clutch. I run a McLeod RXT, went RXT instead of RST since I drag race a lot in my Cobra and the twin disc's provide a clutch feel like a honda civic and powershifting WOT up to 7,000 rpm is a dream. It was also an easy install as well. Great product and I can't be any happier with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think TKO Five speed Overdrive can be .82? or .60? I have one in a 427 Roush stroker powered Backdraft Roadster (Cobra) replica.

My car rarely gets out of third with .356 gears!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i think with a carburated engine with any kind of a hot cam , your cruse rpm should not be much lower than 1800 /2000---the old fomula for a good launch was about 13 to one ratio (low gear ratio time the rear ratio )--a .60 o/d would probably useless with a carb motor---if you put an injected motor with all the fuel management stuff one might get away with a .70 o/d---sit down and do the math--you don't want a trans you can't use all the gears

1 - 11 of 11 Posts