Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all! I'm new to this forum, but not to old Fords and Mercury cars. I picked up a 68 Cougar with 289 (not running...can turn over by hand very easily) and 4 speed with the intention of a father/son project. When I was in high school, I had a 67 Cougar that I kicked around in, then a 69 'stang..onward to a 69 Camaro..yada..yada. Flash forward 25 years and now have a 71 Bronco that's 80% finished. Anyways, I plan on replacing the 289 with a late model 5.0 roller motor and would like to know if the 5.0 flywheel could be used with the toploader 4 speed? I already know the 5.0 is 50oz imbalance so the original 289 flywheel won't work and that I would have to purchase the bracket for the clutch z-bar.

BTW I pulled the valve cover off the 289 and the rockers were completely covered in sludge! Previous owners were not kind to this engine..

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Aren't the late model small blocks missing the hole for the equalizer bar pivot ball? I think I am remembering that correctly. So you either have to drill and tap the hole or I think there was a bracket you could buy that bolted to the bell which provided a mounting point for the ball.

Bob

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Aren't the late model small blocks missing the hole for the equalizer bar pivot ball? I think I am remembering that correctly. So you either have to drill and tap the hole or I think there was a bracket you could buy that bolted to the bell which provided a mounting point for the ball.

Bob
That sounds right! If you want to use the Z-Bar, you have to drill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies! It's a running 89 5.0 HO out of a GT Mustang (less than 89K) and it's complete from top to bottom for $500. FI is not what I intend to do, so I'll sell off the FI stuff and get some of my money back.

·
Registered
524 Posts
He does mention buying the bracket for the z-bar in his post:)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Be careful when matching the flywheel to the clutch. There are different bolt patterns for different years and clutch, flywheel, and bellhousing types.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The flywheel issue I should be able to tackle via some research online. lad115, can you provide any more insight on the bellhousing issues?

·
Registered
137 Posts
All I can advise you on are the two I have experience with. The original 68 and an 92. The former has a clutch arm pivot point between the throwout bearing and the linkage. The 92 has the pivot on the end of the arm past the throwout bearing. I used the newer bellhousing and bought a pivot adapter for $20. If you go the other way (old BH) you need to but a more expensive adapter system in order to use the T5. So, if you use the new style bellhousing, you can save some $$$ on adapter kits.

I also was told to use the old style diaphram clutch instead of a 3 finger style clutch. The mounting holes for the two type of clutches are different from old to new style flywheels.

I did get the 92 stuff to work with headers and the stock Z bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts