Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I hope there's some 4R70w experts here? My Hughes built 4R70w('98-'00 type)has decided to stop engine braking in 1st or 2nd.
Otherwise it works fine. I've pulled the VB but haven't disassembled it any further as yet.
Pete.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can try calling Mark P. at 413-663-3336. He is the president of the New England Cougar Club and owns Berkshire Transmissions in Massachusetts. He built my AOD for my cougar and is very knowledgeable of Ford transmissions. Great guy to talk with. Good Luck.

Reactions: FIXR7

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man,
I have been able to solve it....
It seems the PRND shifter I'm using can't work. It needs to be a PRND21 gated shifter to allow the manual valve of 2 and 1 to be selected otherwise engine braking only occurs in 3 and 4.
I tested this by removing the cable end from the shifter and moving it past D and it does indeed engine brake now. Electronically selecting 1 or 2 with the physical shifter in D results in the gear being selected but no engine braking.
I wonder if Baumann Engineering know that? Kind of pointless having a paddle shifter function in the Quick4 if it doesn't engine brake...maybe they only have drag racing in mind?
So now I wonder if Electronic command of gears above 1 or 2 will even work with the manual valve in either of those positions? I will test this after I adapt a different shifter. It's a real shame as that ZF shifter is excellent.
DSC05833.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts