Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
i have a little dillema. i currently have a 68 cougar with a 302 2bbl. I want to upgrade the carb to a 4bbl but Im not sure which size to get and what kind. I know that if I upgrade the carb I would also upgrade the manifold as well. I want more performance out of the car but at at the same time not going to crazy! I have a motorcraft carb that might have been an original out of a cougar. Some people have told me that it is a 650cfm double pump carb. The carb is complete but needs to be rebuilt. Should I rebuild this carb and by a manifold to go along with it or should I buy everything new. If so, where would I find good prices.

thanks!
p.s Im also restoring my car and will post pics when done.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
actually a stock Motorcraft 4300 carb is rated at under 500cfm (441cfm), and is a good carb if the throttle shafts are good. If you just want an all around cruizer motor, opt for a good dual plane intake (Weiand makes the best I think), and a Holley 600 vacuum secondary carb, or 625 AFB Carter. Run dual exhaust so the intake and carb set up can breath. And it will run great. Good luck.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
You cant gowrong with edelbrock they make really quality stuff especially if your not really into tuning and the whole matching this flow wioth this jet kinda thing. If your wanting to get into that i am a big Holley fan. But i prefer the offenhauser intake. I have a holley on my baby bird and an edelbrock on my xr7. Desktop dyno is a good source and not to expensive to play with and get the numbers you want. 650 is good for street all round use. i am running 750 and i think i am a little over carbed. The biggest thing i have found using the desktop dyno though is carberation doesnt make to much diffrence when it comes to hp but it is how it works on the street. My base suggestion is not knowing your finaces is check swap meets good place to get nice manifolds for cheap as well as carbs and if your handy throw a kit and do the rebuild yourself it isnt that hard just follow your manual. if your into instant gratification go to summit or jegs and order a combo pack and bolt it on ion a weekend.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I like my Holley 650 dbl pump. great crisp response and no problems. Don't go over 650 though. As mentioned, on a 302 you will be overcarburated.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Guys, Guys, stop and think!! The guy sounds like he has a STOCK 302!! And it dosent sound like he plans on racing it, so why in the world would he need over a 600 cfm carb? Let alone a double pumper. Answear his question as to what is best for HIM!!

Now my answear, Dark is probably right on the size of the stock carb so that tells you something right there on the size of the carb you need. Now that said I think a 600 would be fine for your 302 as long as its a vac secondary carb. Holley if you like em or my choice the Eldebrock. A Carter AFB is fine but is basically a Eldebrock and harder to get parts for. Any dual plane intake will probably be as good as the other on a stock motor. Another suggestion is to go with a new carb if your not good with em as far as rebuilding and such.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
but mark what if he finds he wants to add some headers and maybe some roller rockers later on the 600 may be a bit lean.:D i no mods and just cruise keep what ya got and just rebuild. its dependable and thats why FOMOCO went with them. never mind all us HP nuts were all a bunch of tim allens wanting more power HUNHUNHUN! But if you are planning on stepping up and the bug is very hard to resist always plan on what your wanting and what the finished product is going to be you dont want to buy stuff twice don't ya know.:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cougarguy, yes I DO know. And I also know that a 600 is big enough for mucho mods on down the road for most streeted 302's.
He said he has a motorcraft carb that "might" be from a Cougar, in otherwords he dont know what it is. Since its not going to be stock anyway and he has to probably pay someone (that he hopes is compitent with it) to rebuild it, its probably better to go new and not anymore expensive in the long run.

If you think that a rebuilt 30 year old motorcraft carb is more dependable and efficent than a new Eldebrock then you and I will just have to disagree on that one.

Besides, roller rockers will have absolutly no bearing on the carb required. Only cubic inches and airflow dictate carb size required. mm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
68 cougar 302 carb guy again

thanks for all the input!! I do want my car to have some performance in the long run by adding headers and so on. What I might do is go to a local mechanic that just works on the fords and mercurys and have him take a look at the carb to give me more information on it. Ive also heard the summit racing have performance products at reasonable prices. I do want more more hp in the end though. I guess im a tim the tool man myself in that sense!!!
thanks lithi

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
As usual, mm has it right. A 600cfm vac sec carb is fine for even a mildly warmed over 302, even a stock 351 or bigger. You have to remember that the Holley they used on the GT390s was 'just' a 600! A 428CJ only had a 735cfm vacuum secondary Holley for crissakes!

Also, mm, the Edelbrock carb is a Carter! They just have them finished with that hi-lustre polished-look finish, slap their name on them and sell 'em to unsuspecting newbies that think that because they have the Edelbrock name on them that they must be something new and great. There's nothing wrong with the Carter/Edelbrocks at all. They even have some advantages over Holleys. They just don't have the performance image that Holley has been able to maintain over the lean years. That and the fact that most of the guys who knew how to trick them out back in the 50s and 60s are old geezers by now! LOL :p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
CJ, I know what you mean, but they list the Carter and Eldebrocks at different CFM's so I still consider them a little different. mm

·
Registered
16 Posts
carb for 302

I contacted Pony Carburetor in New York. Got some decent feedback from them about small block carbs. They also will redo carbs for you-probably about the same price as an Edlebrock or Holley. I found them online - search for Pony Carburetor -

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: 68 cougar 302 carb guy again

lithi said:
I do want more more hp in the end though. I guess im a tim the tool man myself in that sense!!!
If you really want to go off the deep end, my friend (posts as fokkerj) had a 302 with a set of roush200 heads, weiand stealth intake, 11.71:1 comp ratio, and a holley 750 cfm carb. That "little 302" with a .525"/.525" cam pumped out a whopping 468 hp and around 450 ft.lbs. of torqe. It was a mean little engine, but he ran into rod problems( I'll let him explain that). So these little 302's are not a force to be reckoned with. As for the carb, 600 cfm should do, but if you wish to do as my friend did, start saving for the 750 carter/holley....just remember to buy eagle rods if you are going to run over 11:1 comp just to be on the safe side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts