Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have opportunity to pick up a 460 from Bronco at a reasonable price. It is complete less carb and comes with headers and torgue convertor. I was thinking about picking it up for use in a couple of years in a pro-stock 69 or 70 that is on the desirable projects list

Appreciate feedback on modifications to drop a 460 into a 69/70? I'll probably use a C6 (sorry Mark) as they are more common down under

Appreciate feedback

Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Leon, www.fordmuscle.com had a 460 mustang build up awhile ago you may want to check out. They cut the shock towers for them although I guess you dont really have to. Headers are a nighmare though. They wrap all the way under the motor. I'm planning on doing one in the future ( still waiting for the guy to get back with me on a possiable car to buy) but will be doing a mustang II front suspension that will eliminate the shock towers all together along with all the rear steering linkages so a set of shorty headers shouldnt be to bad. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I used the Crites kit (motor & Frame mounts) to put my 460 in. Worked very well, no hacking, cutting or grinding. http://www.critesrestoration.com
Crites does offer headers for the conversion as well, but I have heard both good and bad opinions about them. They come in 10 pieces - 8 tubes and 2 collectors and are easy to put in, but a bear to keep from rattling and leaking. And since they are full length they produce a lot of heat along the firewall and floors.
I used shorty headers from FPA and am very happy with them. http://fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm I'm running a C6 and P/S, no A/C.
My B-in-L put a 460 in his '69 factory BB (428) 'Stang by using the original FE mounts. I'm not sure how he did it, but back then there were no kits. He says that he "just switched the originals and they worked". Maybe someone who speaks Mustang can translate that. :p:
Anyway you do it, it is worth it. MASSIVE power on pump gas with low RPMs, lots of looks and comments. I went with aluminum heads and moved the battery to the trunk, changed from SB to BB springs and really do not notice the "extra weight" on the front end that the small block crowd complains about. :rolleyes:
Dollar for dollar you get A LOT more out of a BB than you ever will out of a stroked/bored/built SB. :1poke:
And best of all you don't have to beat the heck out of it to make it scare ya! :p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rktmn, got any pic's? If you dont want to post em go ahead and e-mail em to me. Really interested in how the headers fit along with the fan and radiator. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Car's due back from body shop in 2 weeks, I will be putting motor back in soon (I hope). I will send pics as soon as it's back in place.
Headers are really cool. Pretty much look like stock manifolds, only tubes. I can send pics of motor on stand with headers bolted on if that will help.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hmmmm

Hey Rktman,
Are 460's expensive? And does anyone know if it will fit in a 73?
I am liking the idea of a 460 73 XR...Muahahahahahahaha'
PLMK
Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They are more expensive than a SB, but there is more material there so it is within reason. BB Chebbies parts cost more than SB Chebby parts so it stands to reason. 460 aluminum heads are about $1500 vs SB at $1100. Cams a re comparable, or even less and intakes are about $15 more than a 351W. 460s are fairly easy to find - Lincolns, motorhomes, trucks all came with them. I find more 385 series engines in the salvage yards than Clevelands - no, that' s not because they s*ck, it's because they built so many of them.
The fact that you don't have to do much to them to get a lot out of them is very attractive. I always swore by SBs, my last 69 had a 351C in it. After one ride in a BB I was hooked! The 460 is tight, but my 351C was a pain in the butt to work on too.
A BB street motor isn't necessarily violent either. You don't wind them up like a SB. It just builds (and builds and builds) torque and you sink into the seat. A SB may be crisper off the line - a BB tends to break traction if you pound on it, but there's nothing like a BB feeling. (Sorry SB fans , just MHO.)
Your 73 will take a BB much easier than mine. I believe that the 73 came with a 429, didn't it? If not, the 71 and/or 72 did - you're not smaller under the hood than them. I have seen 429/460s in 68s as well. Depending on who you talk to, the 385 series (429/460) is about an inch taller and longer than the FE, but it is also narrower. I have seen plenty of 69s with FEs in them and it looks like I have more room along the shock towers than they do.
Okay - I'm rambling....but yes, a 460 should drop right into your 73 and although they are a bit more expensive they are definitely worth it. Check out this website - it has some really good shots of BBs in 71 Cougars: http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes I would like to see em on the stand and when you get it back in the car. I dont get into the SB-BB debate but coming from stock cars where you tried to run up to 55% rear weight, BB's were just too heavy for one to be competitive. But I do know your right about the different kind of power they make, and building a driver a bb is much better for power without as much work and there not as tempermental.

There are 2 reasons I want a 460. One is the sound, the other is the look. You can have a really nice Pro Street car with a 750 hp sb in it and people just see the sb. But when they see the bb they go nuts, even if its a 300hp bb, they dont know that. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You're exactly right, Mark. I would not want to road race or roundy-round a BB Cougar or Mustang - even with the weight changes I've made you can "plow" the front wheels if you get on it hard. And it really is amazing how people will oooh and ahhhh a BB with 1/2 the HP of a SB. :p: Of course, I still get an ear to ear grin when I hear a SB wind up.
And IMHO a 429/460 is one heckuva nice looking engine.
I will post some motor stand pics when I get home tonight.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amazing how quickly a big block runs out of brakes on the circuit - about 2 laps - but a 70 coupe with 460, dual quads on a hi-rise manifold and full pro stock treatment will draw the crowds - and you don't even need to have an undrivable cam or hi-stall convertor to make horespower

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
By the time you plop a set of aluminum heads and intake on a 460, you're talking almost the same weight as a all-cast iron 351C. Heck, most people can't tell the difference between a 351C and a 460 anyway. Still, there's no substitute for cubic inches! (No replacement for displacement!)

Problems arise with the 460 swap. One is the tall bellhousing needed. Most tall block C-6s have those reinforcing ribs that might hit your trans tunnel at the firewall. Another is the engine frame mounts. They're the same as small block convertible mounts (go figure) but they are either rare finds for originals or expensive from the aftermarket. Hood clearance starts to become an issue with the taller engine....

The biggest problem with 385-series engines is that they really don't like to be wound up to tight. The stroke is just too long for those big, heavy pistons! Unless you're running aftermarket forged rods and lightweight pistons, you are limited to staying under 6000rpm. Even with the stronger and lighter parts, they really don't like to be wound anything past 6700. At 7200, they will still grenade!

Sidestory... I once had a big block in my 74 Camaro. Only a 396, (+.060 overbore made it a 408). Gobs of torque! I had a hard time getting any traction at all on the street. My best ET on street tires was only a 14.00. I smoked the tires through First, Second and halfway through Third, and still broke 'em loose in Fourth. only 14.00, yeah, but at 110mph! Once the tires hooked it was 'Hold on, Renee!'

One guy thought he had me beat I was so far behind that he backed off at half track. Then he saw that I was gaining on him. He got back into his throttle, but it was too late. I went flying by him so fast he didn't know what happened. I ran a 14.02 on a 14.02 dial with a .031 light. That's gonna be tough to beat. I won. He came into the staging lanes to see what the heck happened, and there sat the Big Block, complete with its tri-power intake. He says 'I shoulda known it was a big block!'

I love big block torque!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
MM:
Here's a photo of the right side with shorty header. The tubes tuck in pretty close to the block. I have other pics from top and front showing how they hug the block. I can email them to you if you want. I'm having some difficulty getting them to upload to the photo gallery..... :rolleyes:

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Bob, those are the exact headers I had in mind. I'm e-mailing you my other address so when you get time you can send the others to me.

I think eliminating the long tubes will make for a much nicer fit. mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Leon - The frame mounts on ebay look exactly like the ones I purchased through Crites. Crites included the block mounts as well for about $130 US I believe.
CougarCJ - I agree with the BBs becoming grenades if you wind them up. After all those years of winding up SBs it takes some getting used to! But once that torque kicks in.... :) . I have an MSD-6AL on mine and I use the 6K chip. I wouldn't want to push it past that for any extended period. Nice thing is you don't have to. My buddy from high school (nemesis) has ALWAYS been into Chevelles. Every Wednesday night at NE Dragway Grudge Night we'd be swapping time slips. Over 20 sumthin' years we've moved into BB land. He consistantly winds his 454 into the 7K range! Maybe the Bowtie will handle it, I won't try it with mine - really no need.
MM - I emailed the other pics to you this morning. Let me know if you need others.

Phew, fingers are tired :p:

·
Registered
600 Posts
GOOOD NEWS!!

I just located a 460 about 30 mins fome here with 130k on it all original from a 69 Lincoln Continental...for 200 bucks!!! should i do it? Also it said it runs strong

Also founda 400 intercepter motor in a 78 LTD and the guy is willing to part ...let me know your thoughts!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts