Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a hold of a 1977 Ford box truck with a 460 engine in it with 77,157 original miles!, but it turns out that the back registration is $2500 to put it on the road. Soooooo, I was thinking of pulling the engine and trans, and scrapping the body. I intend on keeping it very stock, considering the factory horsepower

the question of the day is...
what mods do I have to do to get the big block in my cat...

I know that the...
1) suspension upgrade to heavier springs.
2) frame re-inforcement
3) Custom drive shaft
4) I have to make room for the C6 bellhousing
5) bigger braking system
6) 9inch rear end

Anything else?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Shock towers will likely need to be modified in order for the 460 to fit. Are you sure you want to do this? The amount of money you will spend trying to stuff this monster in your 67 will far exceed what it would cost to drop in a stroked small block or a 390/428.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it sounds like a pain in the ass, but I would love to do it just to say that theres one out there. I've seen other guys do it for the race track though. I have a 302 in my cat right now, what can I do to that. I've already replaced the intake and carb, shortie headers, high flow water pump blah blah....what components are consistent with "stroking" a motor? crankshaft, cam, pistons and heads?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
4) I have to make room for the C6 bellhousing
Why would you need to do that ? does the C6 with a 460 come in a different place on the car than what they did original on the Cougars with 390 engines ?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
naw the bellhousing of the c6 when attached to a 460 sits higher up, making it rub into the center of the car. I would have to lower the engine, which means modifying a more than a few components.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should ad your location to your profile. There may be a way around the fees for back registration.
is there still a way to private message people on here? I would love to know how to get around the fees, its just ridiculous that I have to pay for the previous owners mistakes. And the truck is great!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Shock towers will likely need to be modified in order for the 460 to fit. Are you sure you want to do this? The amount of money you will spend trying to stuff this monster in your 67 will far exceed what it would cost to drop in a stroked small block or a 390/428.
(1)You do not have to touch the shock towers...myth=busted.
(2)You worry about the cost of a LIMA, when the letters "FE" stand for freakin expensive?
I have built both, and I currently own both...see my gallery.
My 540ci LIMA was about the same price as a 454ci-FE with comparable brand name components. In my opinion the LIMA is more bang for the buck than the FE...the FE just happens to be an awesome offering in original trim.

Floorpan/C-6 conflict? I did not have any problems in my 70...I did not know the tunnel diamensions were that much differant between the year models? I know for a fact the engine compartments, from 67 to 70, are in fact, the same diamensions...

I used an AOD transmission with a McLeod scattershield, which is even bigger than the original C-6 bellhousing, for obvious reasons.

I did not modify the transmission tunnel, and my crossmember was readily available from
Mustangs Unlimited for $59.

What I will NOT tell you is this can be done for cheap..."cheap" is a relative term, and everyone spins the context to thier advantage.
IF you are intimidated, dont start.

This swap/build is written in detail at the curb by TheRktmn...as well as many other things that have been proven over the years...

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
(1)You do not have to touch the shock towers...myth=busted.
(2)You worry about the cost of a LIMA, when the letters "FE" stand for freakin expensive?
I have built both, and I currently own both...see my gallery.
My 540ci LIMA was about the same price as a 454ci-FE with comparable brand name components. In my opinion the LIMA is more bang for the buck than the FE...the FE just happens to be an awesome offering in original trim.
I stand corrected. Good luck, 67MercCat

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx for the support! I want this car to be able to tow at least another 500 lbs of weight regularily and reliably, I know the 460 has all the unmolested juice I'll need for that at the very least.
I'm building a concept movie car for the new Mad Max 4 pilot film. I would love for them to use the Merc instead of the 73' Aussie Falcon that got destroyed in Mad Max 2. I'm going to build it then send my agent the pics...

It needs power to haul two large gas tanks in addition to some steel plates. Kind of a hybrid of The ol' interceptor and Jason Stathan's Mustang in Death Race.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Even as a 460 the engine is capable of some mega-horsepower!

Keep in mind that the mid-70's head design - sucked big time!

Look for a pair of C8/C9 head castings from a 429/460 - install cobra-jet valves, you should be able to make 500 hp and still run pump gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts