Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much settled on a 429 in my 68 standard as my next project. I've got the feelers out for a set of the football (truck style) connecting rods.

I like the shorter stroke of the 429 over the 460 for it's revving characteristics and lower piston speeds. My theory is there is less risk of a rod breakage.

My intent is to set it up similar to my 302; solid lifter cam, ported heads, headers, etc... I'm settling in on the Lunati 41606, Intake 0.568" lift, 247 deg dur at 0.050, Exhaust 0.580" lift, 255 deg dur at 0.050. Pretty bumpy, but it's what I'm after.

I'm looking around for a 385 series motor to C4 bellhousing.

I'll probably go with the crites package to get it in the car, but that is probably a year or so out. I'll check out the outfit mentioned in the other thread from Colorado, too.

Hopefully my 9" rear is up to the task... I'll keep everyone updated as to how well the C4 lives, too. Most of the response I've gotten from this group is that the C6 is preferred from a strength standpoint, however us drag racers don't always follow conventional wisdom!

I'll run the 302 all this year... knock on wood.

I need to pull the trans this winter and send the TCI converter in to get "loosened up"... they say they can make it stall at 3700 from its present 3000.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ron, check out the tech forums at FordMuscle.com. A lot of the folks over there are running 385 series with C4s. Ton's of "been there -done that" knowledge to be picked up. You'll see a few posters from here over there as well. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts