Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here on the site ever tried plunking a 429 into a 68 standard? I'm already aware of the different bellhousing necessary to go on my C4, I'm more curious about motor mount locations and getting the right headers. I've stumbled into a "cheap" 429 and am considering this course of action. It is not a CJ or SCJ, but at $150 for the whole motor less intake manifold, my mamma told me never to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm planning on doing the buildup over the next two years and running the 302 that's in it at least all next year. The next couple months will be just pressure checking the block and magnafluxing the crank.

Anyone have a spare set of 460 "truck" connecting rods hanging around?

Ron.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ron -
Sounds sweet. Don't go cheap on it. Them 'truck' rods aren't gonna give you what a set of Lunati or Trick Flow rods will. I'd hate to see you go through all that work, and have that motor pop due to weak parts.

I saw a C4 behind a 460. Once. Looked really neat. Guy wanted $1500 for it, said it took 2/10ths off his 1/4 mile time. I guess it worked, for $1500 used it had better work. Maybe a C6 and a relocated crossmember will fit your budget a little better? (How do I know, maybe money is no object; I'm dirt poor, don't mind me :D )

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was considering the same swap-460 into a '67 std. I scrapped the idea, and heres why- To drop a 385 series big block into a '67-'68 requires bigger everything. I believe you said your car is an original 302 car. You will need a bigger radiator, stiffer front coils, expensive headers that look like a total nightmare to install and work around, expensive motor mounts. If you are planning on building up the 429, your stock C4 will need to be beefed up as well--better to run a C6. Spark plug changes will more than likely take all afternoon, and God forbid if you blow out your header flange gaskets!. In my application I am running a toploader 4-speed, and this would have complicated matters even more because their is no readily available clutch linkage available for this application, and would have required some fabrication in that area. There is also considerably more weight up front with the big block, and this will affect handling. After weighing all off this out, I decided to build a very hairy high revving 289 instead--It drops right in, everything is cheaper for it than the big block, and even though the big block has that wonderful torque, there is something to be said for 7500rpm shifts with a toploader and 4:11s out back ;)
Mike

·
11,000 Posts
I helped Gil Totten install a 429 / C6 in his '67 Cougar. It fits pretty well except that the 429 / 460 is so long there is no room for a fan and it is so tall a hood scoop is mandatory. The shock tower clearance is better than a 390 / 427, spark plug access is no problem. Headers that are available won't work with power steering but the ones Gil used from Crites fit well and were relatively easy to install.

A C4 needs to be beefed up considerably to work with all that torque. A C6 is an easier choice. Don't forget the rear end and brakes need serious help too.

At the end of the day this swap is possible but may not be very practical. A 351W makes a lot more sense and with a stroker kit will be in the same CI range.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Still, a $150 429 isn't a bad deal, if it runs. I'm holding on to my big-block collection....in about 20 years, when new commercial production of internal combustion is outlawed, these things WILL be gold! (Gee, it'll almost be like any slightly non-generic Chebby part is now! Wow....deep thought)

Yeah, I plan for the long-term...on stupid things. I know.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My C4 is has already been through the shop of horrors... tight clutch pack tolerances, "H" servo, shift kit, etc... I'm running a 9" rear, 4.86 gear with mini spool, ladder bars, etc... My car is presently getting almost too out of control for the street with my 302 at almost 400 HP. Fastest pass 13.17 at 103mph. The stroked 351W is a lot more money in the motor, where the 429 is more dough in the headers and radiator setup. The stroked 351W will also dictate new intake manifold and distributor, as well as probably headers, since these are different from my 302. Also, 500 HP out of a 429 is a much more streetable unit than a 500 HP 351W, much less an almost 400 hp 302... my goodness, all of Reinbeck knows when the Cougar comes out... not just because it's loud, but because all that cam makes it sound like an all out race car. (0.560"/.560", 294 deg dur., 248 deg at 0.050")

Anyone who is going fast these days ALL use the C4, the C6 robs too much power. Lots of guys run big block/C4 's at the drag strip. The key is in the clutch pack tolerances and keeping the flare out of the 2-3 shift.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
ronzoni

I have a 68 standard with a 460 and c6. The swap is not that bad. I currently have my car disassembled to fix things that I wish that I would have done differently the first go-round. They are in no particular order:
9 inch instead of 8 inch rearend.
Subframe connectors and 8-point roll bar
Cal-trac traction bars
You can kinda see where this is going. NO traction with that much torque. It was kinda fun smokin' the tires but got real expensive real fast.
The radiator problem is an easy fix. A large radiator from a 67-68 bigblock Cougar and then have a radiator shop relocate the lower hose connection. (Cost me fifteen bucks locally). I used motor mounts and headers from Tubular Automotive and this still allowed me to put a fan on the front of the motor with a custom fan shroud. (I worked at a state-of-the-art sheet metal shop at the time) Hood clearance is a problem. I put a "Street Scoop" through the hood on mine, and now want to swap the hoods and go with a more eye pleasing hood scoop from a Boss or Eliminator style.
The headers are the weirdest thing that I have seen. The are a pain, because I have only been able to install them on the engine and then put the engine in the car. They do give plenty of room after they are in and plug changes are not that bad.
Sorry this is so long. Just ask if I can be of further assistance.
Definatly upgrade the front springs and brakes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Royce,

What about the oil pan? The 429 has a front sump unit, came out of a 71 Thunderbird... Will it fit the 68 Cougar with the way the steering linkage works? My 429 has the short snout waterpump already. Iv'e been needing to upgrade my radiator even with my 302 since it generates so much heat... I like the Griffin units.

I havn't totally scrapped the idea of a stoked 351W, but for the $$$ it looks like I might as well go big block.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have a front sump on mine. Also went with shorty headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Neat picture!!! I guess that engine block fills up my (parents...) entire garage!
Like it a lot though...

Ron, I sure hope it works out for you.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
11,000 Posts
Nice Motor!!!!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
very nice motor! Ronzoni check out this months mustang and fords and see the front end swap for the mustang two front section. Since stock is not a consideration this would be a great mod and open the living heck out of the engine bay for headers and such. and at 1750.00 a very good price it would also help with handeling a great deal and an added benifit is with rack and pinion you wont need the power steering stuff to work around. Another option may be a toploader close ratio since you will be looking then find a 69 70 rear as they are stronger with a 31 spline which can be cut to fit the 67 rear. good luck.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On C4 vs. C6 discussion: CarCraft Dec. 02 page 40 has a discussion of Ford trannys, and some discussion about some of the mods necessary to allow a C4 to live behind a hairy motor. The underlying feeling throughout the article is that the C4 can be fairly easily built to be as strong as the C6 without all that parasitic loss... of course there was little mention of cost...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marty,

My car already has the subframe connectors and the 9" rear, although mine has the 28 spline heavy axles. I'm able to run the ladder bars due to the fact that my rear end is float-mounted at the leafs. Car seems to hook up well with the drag slicks... the 302 gets after the street tires really hard though... breaks loose in the 1-2 shift... I'm considering a set of the hoosier DOT drag slicks for my next set of street tires since the car is by no means a daily driver. My office is only 4 blocks from my house, so it does get driven to work periodically... I have to mock the Chevy guys here at work with their big block GM's... there isn't one of 'em that met me at the drag strip this year... all talk and no action.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did Cougars w/ SB (289/302/351) have the same shocks as the cats w/ BBs (390/427/428)? I'm specifically concerned w/ '67-'68, but I'm curious about the other years too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As far as I know, the shocks and rear springs are the same but front springs are different.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm sorry, my head went faster than my fingers.

I meant to ask if the shock TOWERS were the same (but thanks for your response Rktmn!)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ron, if I was you I would definatly look at notching the shock towers. Not that big a job as long as the motor is out anyway and you can never have too much room. You can find the c-4 bb bellhousings from time to time if you keep you eyes open. I also like the headers that Bob showed the pictures of and there the ones I intend to get for my 460. Now take it for what its worth but I have had more than one Griffin radiator in my time and there will be no more for me. There are better ones out there. Try and AFCO or I have had several tell me that they are very happy with summits house brand aluminum radiators. mm

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
Royce??

Royce Peterson said:
I helped Gil Totten install a 429 / C6 in his '67 Cougar. It fits pretty well except that the 429 / 460 is so long there is no room for a fan and it is so tall a hood scoop is mandatory. The shock tower clearance is better than a 390 / 427, spark plug access is no problem. Headers that are available won't work with power steering but the ones Gil used from Crites fit well and were relatively easy to install.
Royce;
Did Mr. Trotten use mounts from Crites as well? I have been contemplating changing my setup because of my hearder situation and Crites is one of my options, but not if it moves the engine forward.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The towers are the same from 67 through 70 and the Cougar one fit the Mustang and vice-versa. I believe it was Milo (Cougarcj) that cleared that one up awhile back.
Note that all of the Cougars came with what the Mustang guys refer to as the "heavy-duty" or "big-block" reinforced towers.
Paddock had them in their catalog about a year ago for about $100. Don't know if they were the re-inforced ones or not or if they are still available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts