Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a Boss 429 scoop for my cougar can anyone give me the dimensions of it. HXWXL
thanks,
Curtis:)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougar scoops

Why on earth would you want a Boss 429 scoop for your car unless you need something a little taller than the 69-70 Eliminator scoop? Anything that says 'Boss 429' carries a huge price premium. Remember, they only made 1399 Boss 429s over two years.

Cougar Eliminator scoops were also used on the 70s Comet GTs. You can find them around if you look. Many many more Eliminators and Comet GTs were made than Boss '9s! Alpha Cat is wearing an original Comet GT scoop. It looks just right on there, as it should since they also used that scoop on the 71 Cougar GT. I know that there are aftermarket repops of both the Boss and Eliminator scoops out there. Anyone have a product review for those?

For those that don't know, the underhood reinforcing for a 71-73 Cougar has the exact shape of the 70-71 Torino shaker. Now if I hadn't traded away that 351C- Torino shaker assembly I had at one time...

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
This is what a Boss 429 scoop looks like. This is an old photo and now looks less prominent in colour.

In answer to the why question - price and availability of eliminator scoops in Oz. A Repro scoop plus freight, customs duty and tax is about $US250 landed. The repro boss scoop is local at $90

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my Boss429 scoop from a place called MAS, it was 36 bucks, but it doesn't fit worth a crap. If you are planning to mold it into the hood, this is good. If you just want to bolt it on, it will have a big gap in the back and front since the bottom of the scoop curves opposite the curve of the hood.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Eliminator scoop dimensions

Curtis,

I didn't mean to belittle your choice or desire for a Boss scoop, but an Eliminator scoop is more correct for our Cats. In fact, most of the hood lines are made with this scoop in mind. The boss scoop is almost the same width from the front to the back, and if I remember correctly, it may even be narrower in the rear than it is in the front. The Eliminator scoop is wider at the rear. The flare to the rear follows the hood lines on my 71-73s perfectly. It even had the correct notch to clear the center hood ridge. If you want to see what an Eliminator/Cougar GT/Comet GT scoop looks like on my 73, you'll have to look back in the archives for my pic of Alpha Cat. I believe someone also had a pic of the scoop on their 71GT somewhere.

Anyway, I went out into the 12 degree barn attic and measured the scoop on Alpha Cat's hood, just in case you want the dimensions of it.

At the base, or hood, it is 20-1/2 inches wide at the front and about 25" wide at the rear. It is 25-1/2" long. It is 1-1/2" tall at the front, and only about 3/4 or 1" high at the rear.

OK guys, what about the Boss 429 scoop dimensions? My buddy's Boss '9 is in storage for the winter so I can't easily measure it right now...

Link to Alpha Cat pic:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=581

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fiberglass Scoop?

Are fiberglass repros of eliminator scoops any good? if so Where would a guy get one?
thanks,
Curtis

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
There have been various reports on quality of repro eliminator scoops. My suggestion would be to contact John Bauman at John's Classic Cougars and seek his opinion. They are also listed by Autokrafters. Apparently the bolts do not line up with the standard mounting positions

Most of the feedback has been to hang out for an original one that is listed on ebay and repair it or try Don Rush at WCCC and see if he has a used one in stock

Any other vendors have a suggestion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts