Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1971 Thunderbird with a 4 barrel 429 in it, I'm thinking of going to snatch it out the junkyard tomorrow, but I'm having a hard time pinning down if its worthy of my time. I think its a Thunderjet not a Cobra Jet or Super Cobra Jet, but I'm wondering what the specs are.

I found it when I went back to the yard to find that 352 and they crushed it so I figure I could grab this.,...

·
Registered
349 Posts
11:1 Compression, 360HP @4600RPM, 476 Lbs. Ft. @2800RPM. Same block as the 460, so lots of performance parts available. Modern thin-wall block, so will be much lighter than the 352 you were looking at. Heck yeah, go grab it!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Well, according to this site: http://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html the 352 weighs in at 625 pounds, the 429 at 720. That's pretty consistent to what I've seen published elsewhere. Not to say that its not worth getting, but don't expect any weight savings.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A very heavy engine indeed, but I'm considering the whole front end suspension swap regardless, maybe some aluminum heads and intake to lighten things up, which I've been told are in the $2000 range. I'll get on it tomorrow, wish me luck! I'll post pics

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, according to this site: http://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html the 352 weighs in at 625 pounds, the 429 at 720. That's pretty consistent to what I've seen published elsewhere. Not to say that its not worth getting, but don't expect any weight savings.
cj750, I would've bet $100 to the contrary until I started researching. Dang, you're right! Thanks for the correction!

A very heavy engine indeed, but I'm considering the whole front end suspension swap regardless, maybe some aluminum heads and intake to lighten things up, which I've been told are in the $2000 range. I'll get on it tomorrow, wish me luck! I'll post pics
Though I was all screwed up on the weight of this engine, I think you'll be pleased if you get it!

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I used a 71, 429 in my 77 F250, 4wh, 4sp. Stock except intake and 750 Holley. I still have the motor. I really liked it. I felt like it needed a rev limiter especially in low range. I intend to put it in another project someday. Maybe that ugly van.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool well hopefully its still there, these guys are pretty hip to engines and I know that theres a few performance 429 parts floating around on craigslist that can help make this a simple build. Most likely I'll just do a Cam, intake, headers and heads and go have fun, I think I can get about 450HP outta that thing easy. SOme of the other version were rated at 500HP so I know it's capable of it without cracking like an egg.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Make sure you use a 71-older timing set! 72-up used a crank sprocket that retarded the cam! That's a quick hop-up tip for any 72-up 429/460 is to use the early timing set... Clevelands retarded the cam itself... Not sure what they did with 302/351Ws...

Anyways, good luck with your 429! Maybe you could exchange the crank for a 460! Instant cubic inches (with the appropriate pistons)!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah I can always find 460's laying about, there more common out here in box trucks, tow trucks and duallys. As far as a 71 and older timing set, sounds like a winner to me, can an aftermarket set eliminate the cam retard problem too?

·
5,470 Posts
There is no 'cam retard' - meaning the cam itself was not ground retarded in 429/460s. Only the crank gear in the timing set was re-indexed to retard the cam. That's why you want a 'straight-up' timing set. All aftermarket performance sets are straight-up, but a direct replacement might have the retarded sprocket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
429's are great motors in my opinion. 460's are also with more cubes. "RV" type cam grind, 750 Holley with a spacer makes a lot of torque!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Cool well hopefully its still there, these guys are pretty hip to engines and I know that theres a few performance 429 parts floating around on craigslist that can help make this a simple build. Most likely I'll just do a Cam, intake, headers and heads and go have fun, I think I can get about 450HP outta that thing easy. SOme of the other version were rated at 500HP so I know it's capable of it without cracking like an egg.
70-71 cj scj 370-375 hp. 385 blocks make a great building platform but 450hp from a garden variety is going to take some doing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
70-71 cj scj 370-375 hp. 385 blocks make a great building platform but 450hp from a garden variety is going to take some doing.
remember though, Ford underrated those engines for insurane purposes, a SCJ is more like 450hp if you've seen em run, those engines are crazy! I still haven't gotten it yet, I'm waiting for this half off sale this weekend at the pick a part, right now I only have the money for the block and the heads, but I want everything, even the accessories so I have something to start from. I think that would work out better in the long run.
What would be the advantage of sticking 429 heads on a 460? Or is it just a crank (stroke) difference between the two?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well fellas, here it is safely in my yard...It was an adventure getting it home but I'm sure I'll make very good use of it. This is one heavy chunk of metal...I would be surprised if my supercharger breaks this. but then again I just found out that the compression is high on these engines and it would not be ideal for boost.

429thunderjet.jpg
429thunderjet2.jpg

·
5,470 Posts
429/460s used different block deck heights through the years. '68-70-1/2 used 10.3", 70-1/2 through 71 used 10.310, and then 72-later all used 10.322". Rods were the same length, but the early/ and truck spotfaced 'football' rods are somewhat stronger than the later broach-cut rods. Crank stroke and pistons with a different wrist pin height are the only things changed to make the 429 into a 460. Heads are pretty much the same between the two for any given year, but through 71 they used 75cc quench chambers, and from 72-on they used 91 or 96cc open chambers. There was also a piston dish issue depending on year as well...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car I got it from was a 71, but who knows if that was an original engine or not, sure looked like it though, but where is the numbers on this block anyways? Near the starter like the 289.302's?
By the way, do you think these heads are any good http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-SCJA/ and how much weight do you think it will shave off? This engine is heavy and has managed to break everything it's come in contact with. So an aluminum Intake and heads should be good to knock off a few pounds. and is this intake any good http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/pts/2908607704.html

·
5,470 Posts
Casting number and casting date near the starter, and partial serial (Year, assembly plant and sequential) is stamped on drivers side rear of the block just below the head.

Heads? Meh... Probably not worth it on a street engine. Just grind out any thermactor bump in the exhaust port of your stock heads and you should be good...

P.S. Grab that intake!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright I'm going to start cleaning the engine off tomorrow afternoon and find out whats really going on under those heads and intake. As for the Stealth, I'm just waiting on a response from the seller and we have a deal...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: 429 Big block

I did the same thing you are doing. The one thing I will suggest is check the casting Id on the block. This will determine if it has thick webbed mains or the thinner ones. Thick is good. More like the CJ & Boss blocks but without the 4bolt mains. Mine had a DOVE-A casting and I believe the D1VE-A or AA also has thick webbed ones.
My engine Guru said with a stud girdle on my 2 bolt it would take as much pounding as a 4bolt, maybe even more. So thats what I did. Added a set of Trick Flow heads, Eagle rods, KB pistons, and Aluminum intake. Much lighter and hoping to put out about 550 - 600hp (10.75/1 comp). I just put an original NOS Crane 429 SCJ hydraulic cam in it for now. ($100 with new lifters, couldn't resist) Tried to build the bottom end strong, can always play around with the top end...There's a pic of it in my Album...
Good luck, and I believe you can even buy a stroker kit for it and load it up to 512+CI, if you want big HP!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes so I finally was able to get the grime off enough to read the block, it says D0VE-A and the heads are D0VE too...So I guess thats a 70' block, I thought It was a 71' but the older the better I guess.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts