Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We installed the engine today to check for the clearances.
It seems we will have headache because of the headers.
Does anybody use Hooker 6114 headers for 428CJ in 69-70 Cougar? 20120322392.jpg 20120322391.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Those aren't stock heads - but even stock manifolds are a VERY tight fit with that big hunk of Detroit steel.....it's not gonna be easy with anything. You may have to "customize" a few spots with a hammer to massage them into there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those aren't stock heads - but even stock manifolds are a VERY tight fit with that big hunk of Detroit steel.....it's not gonna be easy with anything. You may have to "customize" a few spots with a hammer to massage them into there.
Is it possible that the Hooker 6114 fit into Mustang without "costumize" but have to modify for Cougars?
I saw 428CJ 68-70 Mustangs with this headers. Very tight but fit without massage.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've done a few installs, this one is in a 68. A 406 stroker w/ Edelbrock heads and Hooker headers. This one took 3.5 hours and we had 3 guys here. The trick was to lay headers in bay and lower motor onto them. Fit and install bolts (most of the time used here) one guy had small hands, so he was the bolt guy. The driver top bolt had to be "modified" and that was it. Hope this helps!

P.S Your Alum heads maybe the issue....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done a few installs, this one is in a 68. A 406 stroker w/ Edelbrock heads and Hooker headers. This one took 3.5 hours and we had 3 guys here. The trick was to lay headers in bay and lower motor onto them. Fit and install bolts (most of the time used here) one guy had small hands, so he was the bolt guy. The driver top bolt had to be "modified" and that was it. Hope this helps!

P.S Your Alum heads maybe the issue....
Thanks for the advice.
Did you use the Hooker 6114 headers?
I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I installed hooker 6114 super comp headers in my 70 428.
No modifications needed, not 1 single dent, they are close by the shock tower braces.
Plenty ground clearance with p235x15 tires. I used all 32 bolts and a soft copper gasket, been 15 yrs without issue, they were ceramic coated inside and out but now starting to show a little cancer, it's been a good driver.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I installed hooker 6114 super comp headers in my 70 428.
No modifications needed, not 1 single dent, they are close by the shock tower braces.
Plenty ground clearance with p235x15 tires. I used all 32 bolts and a soft copper gasket, been 15 yrs without issue, they were ceramic coated inside and out but now starting to show a little cancer, it's been a good driver.

·
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
This thread reminds me of a guy who told me he cut out or cut out portions of the wrap around shock towers on his 69 428CJ Ram Air Eliminator to get the headers on. It's one thing to cut up a hot rod, but not a car like that. Seriously, I just about threw up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys.
I have ordered the Hooker 6114.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts