Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 428 vert has a power steering pump with a leak from the filler neck-where it meets the body of the pump there is a crack. My research from the Stanger site says that all 69 Mustangs got the same power steering pump, but in 70 the 428 got the HBA-BR pump. Interestingly, the Mustang with the six cylinder got the same pump. in 70, only the small block had a different pump.

Does this information carry over to the Cougar as well (obviously excluding the six cylinder-poor Mustang!)? Does the 69 Cougar 351 use the same powers steering pump as the 428?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I had a similar issue when the tube had a crack at the base.I ended up soldering the base where it was cracked, filed it down and painted the housing.I know your car is rare so i hope you dont replace it and try and repair it.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Pumps from 1967-69 are the same, 1970 428CJ was a carry over pump. They all used an aluminum pump mounting bracket. The difference is by engine for the reservoirs, the return nipples are configured differently.

Starting in 1970 a stamped steel pump mounting bracket was used on the small block V-8's. The 1970 P/S pumps also had an offset pressure fitting through the reservoir. In 1971 the fitting was again centered on the reservoir and they also changed the pump mounting brackets.
These stamped steel pump mounting brackets incorporated a rear support for that pressure fitting on the backs.

Mustangs and most other Ford/Mercury cars with the same engines, and generally used the same pieces engine for engine year for year. I don't know about 6 cylinders, I never did the research.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Does this information carry over to the Cougar as well (obviously excluding the six cylinder-poor Mustang!)? Does the 69 Cougar 351 use the same powers steering pump as the 428?
Joe, looking in my Mustang & Cougar Tagbook on page 124, the '69 302 & 351 used a PS pump with the tag code HBA-BK and all engines but the 302 & 351 in 69 used a PS pump with tag code HBA-BF or -BF1. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts