Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spinning the oil pump prior to the initial start up after a mild rebuild on the 428. I'm only getting 20 pounds of oil pressure and the oil is only sputtering out of the top of the push rods. I can see the oil is airated... I'm thinking no gasket in the pickup tube or failure to tighten it up. Could it be anything else?

·
Registered
913 Posts
That depends on how fast you are spinning the pump, at idle the engine is turning 600rpm, are you turning that fast? Air in the oil is not un- common at start up, but 20 lbs seems a little low. I spun mine with a 1/2 inch drill, and had 60 psi.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah I would think 30 + should be pretty attainable - could be you are spinning it to fast..?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just using an electric drill and spinning at all different speeds...

·
Registered
980 Posts
At 60 psi you should oil shooting all over...heck, even at 30 psi you should have more than "sputtering" of oil....do you "think" that you forgot to tighten the pick up tube??? Is the motor in the car or on a stand? Is it a NEW pump?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor was rebuilt years ago and I just don't know about the tube. Motor is (now unfortunately) in the car. Pump was new of course. The only way to have bubbles in the oil is for the problem to be before the pump, right? Anything after is under pressure. Someone mentioned the oil filter adapter gasket in wrong... would this not just create an oil leak?

·
Registered
390 Posts
While spinning the oil pump with your drill or speedwrench whatever, have an assistant slowly turn the crankshaft with a ratchet which will put the lifters in alternating positions, you just may have a oil hemorage at one of the lifters, easy enough to try, I have a hunch.....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good idea.....it's at least pumping, so that a good thing. There wasn't anything special done like oil restrictors or anything I assume....see what happens after you turn it some. I'd be tempted to start it up for a few seconds before you go yanking anything since everything is at least primed it shouldn't hurt much if it at least has some pressure...just watch it carefully and shut it down if you don't develop good pressure quickly.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Forgot.....these oil pressure sending units are notorious for going bad and giving erroneous readings......don't ask how I know this....!

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts