Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to pull the engine on the ragtop for a rebuild. It is all original and all there. It runs well, but has been sitting since '79 so it needs to be gone through.

Question #1 - does anyone know of a trusted engine builder close to Kansas City?

Question #2 - what would be a ballpark cost estimate to go through and rebuild a CJ to stock specs. Assuming no surprises when engine is pulled apart.

Question #3 - ballpark cost for rebuilding tranny.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Trying to pin down a cost on engine rebuild is actually really tough. Depending on how perfect you want the engine it could range from $1500 all the way to $5000. No doubt that a well done FE will cost roughly double that of a small block chevy. I would budget around $3500 to do it right without going crazy. As far as the transmission, I would expect to pay around $1500 for a complete rebuild, including the torque converter. I am not sure of the labor costs in your area but they are pretty cheap here.

Good luck

·
Registered
564 Posts
your choice of pistons will really vary the range and agree with sidewinders estimates having built a few of these.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like to see good fixtures like these http://www.bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/products/blueprintfixt/bp_intro.php at the machine shops I use. I know some places still use the bubble level stuff. I live in Lawrence and Tonganoxie I use murphy's machine down the road with good results, but like most places that have been in business for a while you'll bad things too. I assemble my own stuff and I hope I'm catching the stuff that others would overlook. Mercers machine shop in lawrence is also pretty good. I would spend the money and have it balanced.The equiptment today is really amazing. Atsi in Lawrence is a good automatic transmission shop. I think the prices sidewinder stated are inline with local shop charges. I don't know about any of the KC shops. Driskell in Wellsville is supposed to be the best .but I have never been able to make contact.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! As usual my question was answered and then some!! Will keep you all posted on how the rebuild goes!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts