Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to find a 1970 Eliminator with 428CJ and I'm trying to finalize the deal but have a question for you guys.

This car seems to have a habit of breaking the support rod that goes from the shock tower to the firewall. The owner (1st and only) says that he has replaced/fixed this 4 times since it was new and it currently has only 48K on it. The last time he says he chained the motor mount down and has left it that way.

So my question is this....either the torque on this monster is huge and he has driven this car real hard to keep breaking this support or something else is wrong. Any ideas?

Second question, the shock towers are apparently rusted pretty badly on this car. Where can I acquire some replacements? Haven't seen too many big block shock towers advertised lately.

I have not seen the car as yet but I'm trying real hard to have the original owner part with this and I think I'm almost there. He has it up on blocks and starts it every year but hasn't driven it in about 10 years....I need this car :)

Thanks for your help

Dale

·
Registered
266 Posts
That would take some amount of tourque the break the support brace. I would think you would need some real meats on the rear to really get the body to twist. smaller tires will just spin.

Are the braces breaking at the mounting points or somewhere in the center.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Sounds weird - struts are designed to stop front to rear flexing of the towers and an engine's tourque twists the chassis rails side to side. The braces also provide a minor degree of triangulation to stop towers flexing inwards

Cracked shock towers and solid engine mounts plus a lot of racing could crack the strut brace, as could driving it over rough roads especially if the car was getting airborne

We rally Falcons over dirt in Oz but I've never seen one crack a strut brace

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dont know why the support bars are breaking, it could be the torque (i don't know if that would be bragging rights or just a nucence) :D But I do know that they make replacement shock towers. I saw some at the columbus swap meet over the weekend.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You mentioned the shock tower has rust. The support brace
can't take all the forces of driving on its own.If the shock tower
has all it's strenth the support should hold.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts