Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go. I'm stuck in a 2 week quarantine in Guam, so I have lots of time to bore you with my build of this 1970 Cougar. I'm unsure of the format so I'll just stumble along.
I found this car in North East Oregon. It was a 351W powered 1970 Cougar with a vinyl roof, C4 transmission and stock interior. The prior owner had installed the Eliminator decals on it but was not claiming it was a real Eliminator. The Marti report proved that it wasn't. It did come from the factory with the Competition Blue (Ford Grabber Blue) paint and Performance Suspension. Upon pre-buy inspection I found holes in both front floorboards and a silver dollar sized hole behind the right rear wheel well. I completed the deal (5K cash, and a 99 Springer Softail) and trailered it home. I drove it for two summers collecting a couple awards at local car shows. After finishing my Thunderbolt It was time to start a restoration on the Cougar. Here is the pick I took shortly after I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought the holes in the floorboards were about the size of a dollar...……..silly me. This is what I found under the carpet. So it was of to West Coast Classic Cougar (WCCC) for some really nice re-pop floor panels. I butt welded them in with my MIG

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm thinking this will go quick. All the sheet metal issues have been addressed. I just needed to weld up the driver side marker light and badging holes, then I can sand down the paint and reshoot it...…..NOT. When sanding the left rear quarter panel look what I found! A half inch of bondo over half the rear quarter. This was my bad, I normally bring a magnet when buying any car. I forgot mine. So this was the price. NOTE TO SELF: Always use a magnet when buying any used car! Back to WCCC for a complete left rear quarter panel. This was my first attempt at replacing an entire quarter. It was not as hard as I imagined. Just time consuming.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After learning how to replace a quarter panel, I made liberal use of my magnet and this is what I found! I was able to borrow a stud puller. What a great tool. Just place the stud in the tool, place it on the car, pull the trigger and it welds a stud to your car! A simple melding of a slide hammer and vise grips allows you to pull out the dents. Then just hammer and dolly. The dent on the right side rocker had aquarter inch of filler... USE A MAGNET before you buy !!!!!!
All was finished with just a skim coat of filler. less that the thickness of a credit card. And yes a magnet will stick firmly to the repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So now its beginning to dawn on me that the "quick and easy patch and paint" just aint gonna happen! So it on to the rotisserie!. Whenever you put a car on a rotisserie the planned cost quadruples! So now its out with the entire drive line, Engine, transmission, rear end, entire suspension, the entire interior, all removed. Its off the dolly and on to the rotisserie. Its while I'm welding in the subframe connectors that a local guy walks into my shop and offers to sell me a 1964 center oiler 427 built to make 600HP for $5500. (More on that later.) He had a GMC Mudder truck and was getting his ass handed to him by the 800 HP Chevy 502's. I could not get to the bank fast enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About that 427 that walked into my shop. I had installed a 1964 427 into my 64 Fairlane and was certain that was the only one that I'd ever find. It was very high on my bucket list. So the guy comes into my shop and offers me the deal of my life. The engine had been recently built for him to make 600 HP. It ran a Magneto, had and Offenhauser Intake, Aluminum Rods, forged pistons with 13:1 compression. It was a roller cam and roller rocker. What's not to like? I brought it to Maslen Machine, a local shop that overhauled my Thunderbolt 427. I found a set of LeMans Rods and forged flat top pistons at the PRI swap meet. I wanted it back to 11:1 compression so I could burn non ethanol premium pump gas instead of racing fuel that would have been required for the domed 13:1 pistons. Dale Maslen overhauled the engine for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now I have to find a C6 to back up my newly acquired 427. I did not want to convert from an FMX to a 4 speed. Very few 4 speed big block Cougars were made so parts were going to be made of unobtainium!. I scored a good C6 core at a local salvage yard. That, I took to Transaction Transmission, the same guys who overhauled the top loader in my T-Bolt. They put in all the B&M go fast goodies along with a custom made torque converter. The Fairlane I have came with a really nice B&M shifter I thought I could use. Turned out the throw was to long and would not work. But the factory shifter does quite nicely. The C6 fit right in where the FMX came out. Crites sold me a nice set of 427 motor and transmission mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the car now on the rotisserie I just bit the Bullitt and stripped the entire body. None of the Eliminators came with a vinyl roof unless installed by a dealer. So the vinyl roof went away. I never liked them anyway. I found a lot of light pitting but no rust through. A thorough bath with phosphoric acid cleaned that up well.
The underside of the car was surprisingly well kept except for the above mentioned issues. I just removed all the loose undercoating and shot the bottom of the car with truck bed liner, then pained it semi gloss black. Recall I welded in new front floors and subframe connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a local paint shop that brewed up a perfect Mercury Competition Blue PPG single stage paint. They also set me up with a PPG DTM Primer. After priming the car and doing minor filling and flattening to get the panels as flat and smooth as possible, I masked off all the door jambs, engine compartment, trunk, fender seams and shot them in my home made visquine paint booth. (See background in multiple pics).

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And now the fun begins! I found a peach basket and filled it with $100 dollar bills, then I reached in and grabbed a handful and started throwing them at Summit Racing, West Coast Classic Cougar, Mac Auto, the local NAPA store and a whole host of other businesses who's sole purpose is to hoover them up. Yes I was just like Johnny Appleseed spreading my $100 dollar bills far and wide. For my efforts I have a new Optima battery MSD ignition, CVR Vacuum Pump and Reservoir, Painless Wiring Conduit Kit, Chrome Master Cylender/Brake Booster, Hurst Line Lock, Powermaster Alternator and Light Weight Starter,

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More from Johnny Appleseed and his bucket o' bills. The Vacuum pump was required because the cam I used was not going to make enough vacuum to power the shift module in the C6. The Roller Rockers in the engine required larger cast FE Rocker Covers and they hit the Cougar vacuum brake booster, The Mustang one fit perfect AND the chrome adds 20 HP!! I needed a new Power Steering pump which required all new lines, brackets and pullies. Then there was a Pertronix distributor and coil (chrome too! add another 3 HP) to go with aforementioned MSD ignition. New water pump, thermostat and housing. Oh I almost forgot the Holley 850 Double Pumper and really cool cast aluminum air intake. (add 5 HP for the fins). I ditched the Mercury export brace and made my own, Add another couple HP for the plating. Did I mention the new after market Harmonic Balancer, Radiator and Flex-Lite Electric fan. Then there is the headlight door electric conversion kit . Lets see, that cant be everything.....hmmmmm……… Oh yea I had the upper shock mount and hood hinges plated to match the export brace (good for 5 HP)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the unsung part of the car. The one that only the most ardent gear head will look at. I put Hooker long tube 428 headers on it. Followed by a Flowmaster SS 2.5" exhaust system kit with MagnaFlo 14X6 Mufflers with Summit electric cutouts. All the soft parts, fuel and brake lines, bumpers, bushings ect are new. New brakes, and shocks front and rear. New Adco 3/4" rear sway bar, front sway bar re-bushed and painted (recall factory performance suspension). New fuel tank.
When I pulled the 9" rear end I replaced the 300 gears and installed a Trac-Loc and 350 gears. New axle bearings and seals. I installed new Competition Engineering Traction Bars

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final post,....unless its not!
I'm sorry I did not get pics of all the wiring and modifications, there is a lot I don't have pics for. None of the perfect original interior got a pic, Nor the ass kicking new stereo system, or new windshield, or upgraded instruments and console.
As I mentioned earlier this was NOT an Eliminator so the decals were not reinstalled. The only badging on the car now are a front and rear "Cat" that came on the car from the factory. I also installed small "427" badges on the hood scoop. Oh yea, about that, It came with the car. Its a 429 Mustang Scoop. Its a good thing it was there, as with the hood closed I have only 1/4" clearance on the intake. Turns out I needed it! Not to mention it adds another 15HP...………;-)

I'll be deployed for a few months. When I get home Ill take some more pics and amend this thread. Here are the last few pics I took after the 3rd test drive. Yup, it'll lite em up without even trying. Its a real torque monster!

Enjoy,
Rebostar
Gaston Oregon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Nice work! Get home safe and have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts