Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening went to take my cougar out today and noticed it was very dificult to start went and popped the hood and i was leaking gas from the front accelerator pump of my carburator i have a holly 750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries i think it has been slightly leaking for a while because i have been noticing a little fluid on the victor junior intake right under the front accelerator pump but could never see it leaking before. my question is this is this a common problem with these carburators and is it going to be as simply to fix as taking the carb of flipping it over and tightening the accelerator pump screws or am i going to have to by a whole carb rebuild kit just for one gasket........do they sell this gasket by itself

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Simple fix - check yours yours first for size - as they come in various "shot" sizes, then stop in at your local shop and they ought to have them in stock....you will want new base gasket while your there too

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple fix - check yours yours first for size - as they come in various "shot" sizes, then stop in at your local shop and they ought to have them in stock....you will want new base gasket while your there too
thanks for the response but if i am not mistaken you are saying to replace the whole acelerator pump at the underside the little square thing with four screws ...why does that have to be replaced also would it not be easier to just replace the gasket only? also i am a little confused with your response the nozzles come in various shot sizes those little squirter things that are inside the air horn. they have numbers on them like 35, 38 ....i am not refering to those i am refering to the pump on the outside bottom size with four screws... that comes in various shot sizes too? also will autozone have these parts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"my question is this is this a common problem with these carburators and is it going to be as simply to fix as taking the carb of flipping it over and tightening the accelerator pump screws" =YES

or am i going to have to by a whole carb rebuild kit just for one gasket= NO

........do they sell this gasket by itself?

In this case, the diaphragm's are available separately. However, while you have it apart, a "quick kit" is only about 30 bucks, you could go through the whole thing, while you have it apart.

I don't know if autozone will have them, the one by my house doesn't carry a lot of Holley parts. However the local Schucks/Kragen/ O'reilly usually has a pretty good stock of Holley stuff.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yes - pop out those 4 screws and it's a diaphram - they come in different sizes (colors), (also it's the "gasket"), I think like 20cc to 50 cc or somethign like that. It's not unusual to get rotten/leak, you can try tightening I guess, but I would just replace it....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the response but one more question how can i tell if the diaphram is leaking along with the gasket.....i know about the gasket ...but will the diaphram bee tore if it is bad/

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
it's one in the same - just a rubber coated deal with a metal center for the arm to push against. They get pinholes/tears, or rot out over time.....double pumper means you might as well do both while your at it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks allot ...checked summit they dont sell them by themselves they sell the kit think i will call them to make sure they have two 50cc diaphrams in the kit

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - 50 would drown it I bet - it should say on it what size it is....and they may be different front/back also

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the motor in my car is a 408 stroker motor i upgraded to the 50cc about a year and a half ago when it was 30cc use to get to much hesitation of the line not had any problems with the 50cc except trying to keep traction on the road lol

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OHH - ya know what - I just remebered on my carb I took it off recently and EVERY screw on the bottom has worked it's way loose....I'd throw a dab of loctite on them while your at it......could be your trouble anyway......check 'em all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts