Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1970 Standard Cougar Coupe. 351C 4V 4 speed tranny.

Are these transmissions Mercury/Ford specific or can they be used in other brands of cars? (GM, Chevy, etc....)

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ford Mercury Spacific. GM use Borg Warner and Muncie and Mopar uses their own heavy A-833.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Years ago I bought a 1 owner 68 Pontiac Lemans that needed a clutch (350 3sp), to my surprise I found a Ford trans in it. It was factory setup. Strange

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The Ford Toploader 4 speed transmissions are specific to car lines, engines, and years, too.

The tail shafts are different for specific applications.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Most likely a saganaw Trans. Also a GM Trans.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1970 Standard Cougar Coupe. 351C 4V 4 speed tranny.

Are these transmissions Mercury/Ford specific or can they be used in other brands of cars? (GM, Chevy, etc....)

Thanks, Paul
That transmission will be factory correct for any 1970 Mustang or Cougar with a 351 or a 302 (including Boss) if it is either a "RUG-AV (WR)" or a "RUG-AW (CR)".

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
It is true that GM has used Ford 3 speeds. In the 61 and 62 F-85 and Buick Skylark with a 3 speed it was a ford transmission.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
That blows me away. Whod a figured!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its true that GM used a Ford 3 speed manual trans in some of their cars. I had a 1965 GTO that I bought right after I graduated from high school in 1980. The car had the 389 Pontiac motor and a Ford 3 speed manual in it. The car was not running when I purchased it for $1000.00 dollars. I located a 1969 Pontiac catalina wagon with a 428 and turbo 400 in it. Built that motor and trans and installed it in the GTO. I had to do some modifications to get the trans and driveline too work. That GTO had some interesting combinations as built new. The 389 with a Ford 3 speed manual, power steering, manual brakes, A/C, one speed wipers (slow), console vacuum guage, and no seat belts. Car was still wearing its faded original silver paint and the white parchment interior looked exceptionally well for its age. I also got a 1966 over the counter Pontiac three deuce manifold and carbs set up for the car included in the $1000.00 dollar purchase price. Rebuilt that also and installed on the car. Sold that car in 1984 for $4500.00 and though I made a killing. The only things I still have of that car some pictures and the original 1966 water neck for the tri-power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts