Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4 speed toploader setup from a 1967 Mustang last summer. I am about ready to install it in my 1968 Cougar. It has an automatic right now.

Does the toploader bolt right up? I guess more specifically, what will I run into that needs to be altered? Does the shifter go through the same hole in the floor as the automatic? I am pretty sure that the hole will need to be punched in the fire wall for the clutch pedal. Is it obvious where it should go? Has anyone done this before? What "gotchas" should I avoid?

Thanks in advance for all your help. This website rocks!

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did a swap 10 years ago in my 69 Coupe from a FMX to a Ford toploader.

All i had to do was to locate where to dril the hole in the firewall for the clutch bar.
I mounted the clutch linkage and the clutch pedal and aimed.

I also made an alumium plate and attached it to the toploader to relocate the shifter to match the original position.

My toploader came out a Torino 69.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Woops, hit the enter button too soon.
I'm in the process of con verting my 70 from an FMX to a 4 spd. If you have everything from the Mustang it should be pretty straight forward.
The flywheel, bell housing and trans from the Mustang will interchange if both engines are the same. Bellhousings for small blocks and big blocks are different. Also, I think that the input shaft on a toploader for a 390 car is different from a small block Toploader. You'll need the 4spd crossmember from the Stang. The front driveshaft yolk from the stang or a C-4 will work. The driveshaft from the Stang will be too short because of the wheel base length difference. Best bet is to get a driveshaft made or find one from a 4 spd Coug.
You will need the clutch pedal and related linkage from the Stang. I bought all of the correct clutch linkage new instead of using the 30 year old worn out stuff. Don't forget the pedal return spring under the dash! As for the hole in the firewall there might be a dimple in the area where the hole is to be made. I found a dimple in the sheetmetal on my 70 under and to the left of the brake booster. Left as in sitting in the car. To locate this dimple and cut the hole I would advise removing the booster and mastercylinder to gain access with a drill. Can't remember right off of the top of my head what size the hole is. The best bet is to get the rubber boot that goes on the firewall for the rod that passes through and measure the diameter of the groove. Use a hole saw of the next smaller size to cut the hole. Then use a rotary file to final fit the boot so that it fits tight in the groove
You will have to buy the correct speedometer cable for a 67-8 4spd car. The Toploader speedometer location on the tail housing is on the passenger side whereas the automatics are on the drivers side.
This should be the meat and taters of the swap you might run into some other small things during the swap.
Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
another note, the shifter should come up throught the original hole in the floor. You just need a boot to covetr the hole.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I did this exact conversion. My 68 was an automatic, I took the toploader from another 68 4 spd. The only issue that I had was the rod for the power brakes was not long enough. I found an adjustable rod.

I found this and various other parts at www.mustangpartshouse.com in Dublin, N Calif. He had the firewall boots, a pedal carriage rebuild kits etc...

Everything bolted right in. One obvious thing you will need to address. If you have a console you will need to find the center (metal strip) that runs down the middle of the console for a 4 speed. I was lucky enough to have the one from my other 4 spd car. The only thing that you need to do then is change the opening on the plastic part of the console to suit the 4 spd center piece.

I know I am summarizing as much as possible, but if you need any help. Send me a note. [email protected]

Regards
Rick J

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did the same conversion on my '68 in '83. Got a 4 spd toploader out of a '71 Mustang with a 351C. I bought the trans/clutch/flywheel/driveshaft/pedals/speedo cable. The trans bolted right up. The pedal did not work since the donor car was a '71. Bought the linkages and pedal from Ford. As mentioned before there is a dimple where the linkage will go thru the firewall. The frame also has the holes for the z-bar pivot and one or both of the holes should also have the nut welded from the inside of the frame already in place. Hole in the floor did have to be 'opened' a little to allow for the full movement of the shifter. Get the top plate for the console or the whole console from the 4 spd car because the opening is different. Took me forever to find one (I didn't look too hard). E-mail me if you have any questions.
Good luck, Bert.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice

The "bad" news is that I don't have a highly optioned car. The good news is that it doesn' t have a console. The automatic shifter is located right on the floor. I guess I can slip a boot over the shifter until I get a console.

I did find a place on the internet that sells consoles. As a bonus, they even have drink holders! I was considering one of them. They don't look too bad. Anyone had any experience with the vendor/consoles?
http://mustangjack.com/FoMoCo.htm

I am not sure when I will get to the changeover. I appreciate all the advice so far. If you all don't mind, I might email you a little later when I get to it if I have more questions.

Thanks. I will keep you posted when I get a good time. The weather has to get a little warmer and I have to "convince" my friend to give me a hand to muscle it up in there.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Am I correct to assume that the front of the drive shaft of a fmx will not mate to a toploader? I am also assuming a 3 speed drive shaft will fit just like a 4 speed would. Since there are few Cougar 4 speeds out there, will the front section of a Mustang standard mated to the fmx drive shaft work? In my case, it would be a 69 with a 351w instead of a 68. Any differences?

·
Registered
669 Posts
The drive shaft of the fmx may fit. Measure the ID and OD of the imput shaft of the drive shaft and count the number of splines, then you'll know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts