Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have been lurking in here for months and I really enjoy it. Thanks to Logan for giving us a place to go and thanks to all of the experts with their good advice.

:1zhelp: Now I have a question. I have a 1968 Cougar (302/C4). I want to convert it to a 4 speed. I have an opportunity to buy a 1965 Mustang with a 4 speed. It has a 289. Will it work? I am pretty confident that it will, but I wanted someone to back me up on this.

Thanks,
dave

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I think the pedal support is different in the Mustang so its not a direct swap. You will need to use the support , both pedals, maybe even master clyinder because the 65 Mustang is in a league of its own on brakes, but you could modify it so yours will fit, but Im not sure. The linkage might not be correct either, so that might need tweaking as well.
Do some measuring first off on your pedal support and then check the Mustangs. check bolt spacing, length,pedal setup,etc.
My friend has a 66 Mustang Fastback auto with drum brakes, and wanted to buy my extra 70 disk brake setup, but the pedal support is totally different, 68 and up Cougar is the same, but 67 is different, then 64-65 Mustang, then 66-67 Mustang, 67 Cougar is the same as 67 Mustang. It all depends if you want to modify the pedal support and how much effort you want to spend on doing it and getting it right.
Better off trying to find a 68 Mustang or Cougar already standard and rob that.
But hey, I could be wrong, it happens often, just make sure you have the right arc and the brakes lign up properly or you will always have problems.
Good luck

Rick

·
Registered
669 Posts
I converted my '68 from C4 to 4 speed years ago. Don't wait around for a 4 speed cougar to show up. You may be waiting for a long time. There's not that many around. If you can pick up the stang cheap, go for it. At least you'll have the trans, shifter, linkages, clutch, bell housing......Check the bellhousing, has to have the six bolt pattern and not the 5 bolt!! If it's the 5 bolt (could be since it's coming from a '65 w/289) it will never fit!..

Check that bellhousing first and get back to me. I'm not sure about the clutch pedal but that is a minor detail. You can find another to fit if that one does not. You will basically just put the pedal into place after you cut the pad down on your brake pedal.
You won't have to change the pedal support or do anything with the brakes.

Bert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts