Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I will be trading my 2005 Mustang GT for a 68 J Code XR7 with a C-6. I am looking to makes some performance changes. I currently have siting in my garage a 331 stroker with a bell housing, clutch linkage, and top loader 4 speed from a 1966 mustang. Will this fit in a 68 cougar?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So do I use the mustang pedal setup or do I need to get a cougar specific pedal setup? What about drive shaft? Can I use the cougar or mustang or do I need a custom shaft?

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Mustang for the same year as the Cougar. O don't think the 65/66 will work. But I could be wrong. Modern Driveline makes a good reproduction.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
i don't think you will need a custom shaft - the cougar one should fit. Not sure about the pedals? Like Neal says - MD sells all the components for swaps if you run into a snag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so I did not get the 68 but I did get a 67 with a 390 and a C6. Went transmission shopping a got a quote for 6,000 to do a tremec 5-speed conversion. I was hoping the conversions could be done form under 4K. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
OK so I did not get the 68 but I did get a 67 with a 390 and a C6. Went transmission shopping a got a quote for 6,000 to do a tremec 5-speed conversion. I was hoping the conversions could be done form under 4K. Any suggestions?
Sure! Buy the TKO and put together the conversion yourself. Probably the only way to get where you want to be. The transmission is about $2450 alone.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just as well you didn't get the '68. A J code would have a C4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there other, more economical 5 speeds that will hold up behind a 400+ hp 390 available? I have not been able to find one.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Are there other, more economical 5 speeds that will hold up behind a 400+ hp 390 available? I have not been able to find one.
None that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So maybe I should be looking for a toploader setup and changing the 3.7 rear to 2.8 or 2.91 to make it more streetable

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
I have a perfect, concours detailed, rebuilt RUG-E3 I'd sell for $1500. You can go to 3.25 gears (the limit IMO) without OD and it works fine on the street. That's what I have now (until I get around to putting my new set of 3.89's in), I ran the 3.25's with the toploader.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Isn't that a small block toploader?
Yes, and to my knowledge, small block toploaders were used in 390 cars from the factory.

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
http://www.mustangtek.com/toploader/RUG-M3.html

If your '66 mustang toploader is an original, HEH-HW or whatever, you can probably use that too (not sure the tailshaft housing will work though).

Small block TL's will handle 400+ HP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts