Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tech question on converting the drum brakes in my 69 4 spd cougar to disk, but I am unsure of the pedal assembly. Is it necessary to change the brake pedal when converting to disk from drum? I know you have to with an automatic, but is it necessary with a 4 spd?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
If you have power brakes then no. If you have manaul brakes then yes you do. That is if using all factory parts. I understand that some of the new kit disc conversions don't require the power brake pedal. Neal.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Last I knew there were 2 types of pedal assemblies - Auto trans and Manual trans. Obviosly the manual trans pedal is the smaller one.
As far as P/B versus manual brakes, the pedal arm assembly is the same, but the pad itself is cosmetically different - one has a "power disc" or "Power Brakes" logo on it.
Your 69 most likely has power brakes with front discs, so you shouldn't need to change anything as far as the pedals go.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rktmn,

Actually, the pivot point/brake actuating point is different on the power/non-power cars. The leverage needs to be different to give more ooomph (great technical term, eh?) to the non-power pedal to keep the pedal force low. Ever try stopping your power brake car without the power assist?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
PEDAL DIFFERENCE TRUE

Yes, I did just the opposite. My 67 GT cat had power brakes and I switched to manual brakes. There is a difference in something in the pedal assembly and the arm which attaches to the pivit point and goes through the firewall and pushes into the backside of your booster for power or master cylinder for manual brakes. I bought a new pedal assy. for manual brakes. Also the bracket which bolts between the firewall and the lower dash that the pedals hang from is different for power and manual. The tabs where it mounts to the fire wall has either holes for bolts and nuts or it has some pot metal threaded pieces where the holes ar e that does not require nuts.
You kinda have to get the right whole assy. to get it right:
manual tranny with power brakes
manual tranny with manual brakes
auto tranny with power brakes
auto tranny with manual brakes
then the brake pedal will be plain for drum brakes or have a round stainless steel ring in the pad that says disc for disc brakes. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Holy Cow! I'm going to have toprint out this thread and save it. I never knew that there were that many combinations. Looking back, all of my experience has been converting Auto and Manual trans - always with power brakes.
Thanks guys-
:)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
one thing to note, you can trim a brake pedal from a automatic car to use as a stick shift pedal. Just get a pad and trim the side were the cluch pedal goes to fit. Neal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts