Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night my original 24" radiator took a dump right on my driveway as I pulled up after attending a cruisenight about 8 miles away. The timing of it's demise was perfect though. So my question is has anybody with factory air switched to an all aluminum radiator with just 2 rows instead of a 4 row original? And if you did how well does it cool?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think you will find they are pretty similar in performance. I take it there is no saving the original then? A good rad shop may be able to boil it out and fix any leaks.....new ones are a bit pricey right now! :>(

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I would go 4 row regardless of radiator material.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up ordering a replacement 4 row original style from Mustangs Unlimited.
It arrived today and installed it in about 2 hrs. Took it out tonight and everything seems fine. Temp gauge stayed about
1/3 past Cold and it was about 90 degrees outside.
Mike and his 68!
<dl id="profile17712" class="postprofile online"><dt>
berns68</dt></dl>

·
Registered
544 Posts
If your original radiator was cooling fine before this I would have it re-cored. I have the 2 row aluminum radiator with the trans cooler included. It works great but is slightly wider than the original radiator. It fits fine with the original fan and fan clutch, but the aftermarket fan clutches create fit issues. The 2 row did solve my cooling issue.

Steve

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If the thing flows enough to cool "x" CFM it doesnt matter how many cores it takes to get the job done - only a matter of how well it flows and holds pressure. Rads are getting quite expensive lately - so I am reluctant to give up on "old" unitl it's truly plugged and useless....but new is sometimes cheaper - you gotta be sure your making the right choice for the wallet

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Mr. Bernes..I went with a 4 row in my 68 cougar along time ago, due to the 3 row it had, would sometimes get a little warm during our 90/100 degree summer days here sitting in traffic. But I decided to go with a 4 row and let me tell you its great for summers here and sitting in traffic. Down side is that I only have a little 302 sitting in it, and during the winter, on cold days running down the road, it doesnt warm the water up enough for any great heat while your driving. I think you can change the thermostat to make it better during the cold days Ive just adapted to it and havent tried. But really its been a nice cooling radiator.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have to replace a water pump on my 67 XR7 GT390 (with a/c & C6) and would like input on what radiator to use when it is put back together. I'm in the fortunate situation to have three to choose from and the pump is being replaced under warranty.

1) Original 3 core. This is a pretty rare piece as it is one year only and also used in Shelbys of the same year so quite $$. Worked fine when in car before rebuild and looks to be in very good condition but not sparkling new. Never had overheating issues but engine was very tired at the time. (still have original clutch/fan)
2) 4 row OEM style replacement from Mustangs Unlimited. Almost new. - Only problem is the clearance is very tight even when a short fan clutch is used, the stock fan is quite close to the rad. Looks close to stock when installed.
3) High buck Griffin Aluminum dual row - Almost new. It is what is in there now. Currently unpainted. In order to use the original fan shroud a second rubber seal was used and held in place by binder clips. I have not been able to find anyone that makes a fan shroud for my application. Top clamp does not fit quite right. Really does not look that bad but far from stock. Painting the tank black is an option. Cat can still run a bit hot in traffic with a/c on and thinking i might have to do with how deep the fan shroud and two seals are limiting air flow. Could also be pulley size on Flex fan set up. Or just still tight from the rebuild. Not that much of a problem.

Aside from Edelbrock intake/heads this is a very original cat otherwise and is in strong #2 condition.

Thanks in advance.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Sometimes the thermostat makes all the difference. I'm running a 193 degree thermostat in my 390 gt with the original radiator. It has AC, thermo clutch fan, no overflow tank. I know it doesn't get hot because it doesn't spew water after you shut it off.
I haven't had any issues and I live in Florida.

Here are some old thermostats selling on ebay. The center box is the 195 degree and calles out that stat for cougars with a 390 and 427. The 180 degree calls out for All except 390 and 427.

What thermostat are you running in your 390

·
Registered
238 Posts
What thermostat are you running in your 390
Thanks catman. Currently running 195 but have tried others. Have not had it shed coolant but does seem to run on the hot side on hot day with a/c in traffic. Main questions is which radiator of the three on-hand to choice from since the rad has to come out to R&R the water pump.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
If it was me I would listen to posts 5 and 6 and just go with the original set up, original rad, new thermo fan clutch, fan shroud, seal, new water pump and a 195 stat. Some on the mustang forms swear by (water wetter) it does lower the temp.

Maybe that flex fan damaged your water pump, I don't think that set up is designed for a flex fan. With a thermo clutch fan the fan only turns when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts