Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a complete 4 (or 5) speed conversion kit for my 1968 Cougar. It has an automatic and I would like to change it over to a manual.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I put a Top Loader (sweetest trany ever!) in my old 67 Tang w/ C4.
It was easy. The brake bracket is the same, the trany mount is the same the cross member too, even the drive shaft was the same, i was glad the spine matched. the speed-o gear is not.
I had to use a chain and turnbuckle to hold the left side of the engine down because it wuld rip the engine mount apart regularlly. it was bolted to an rippin 289, the SVO aluminium roller rockers made a huge difference. Huge!
this was in 1985. i got the fresh toploader for $800 back then, i dont what they are today.
Alternativelly, a used t-5 is goog and plentyfull, easy to rebuild too. rebuild kit from Hanlon Motorsport is under 300.
Dont know about the mounting but i have some old magazine articles on that swap that i can scan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally!

I finally found a 4 speed setup last week. It was only a 3.5 hour drive away. It is out of a 1967 Mustang, but I think it should work. Thanks for the suggestions.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That's cool. It should work if you got the whole assembly, (linkage, pedals, rods, etc.) Let me know when you assemble it and take some pix.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts