Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am getting ready to tackle the 4bbl conversion on my 73 Cat
here are the specifics

Edlebrock Intake
Holley 600 cfm carb
Kickdown linkage
all the damn gaskets...lol ecapt the ones for the carb, have no idea what ones to get.

I am also performing the timing chain and valve seal rituals ...lol

Ok back to the conversion.. what exactly do i need to do and what other parts do i need.
Fuel pump is new, as is fuel line, but i have to re route it.

PLMK if there is anything else i need .
Thanks

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much got it covered. I just performed the same conversion myself. Used Felpro gaskets and on the Holley carb I had to by a wide flange adaptor with gasket for the carb to fit properly. Here's a picture of the beginnings.....before I bolted it on.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VER NICE!

Ok here is a ? for ya i have very similar valve covers, there in the photo gallery. What did you use for the passenger side breather hole tube thing...lol.
Otherwise that looks awesome i can't wait to get started...:)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I used a factory gasket and pcv valve. Fit perfectly and the vacuume tube also fit perfectly on the rear of the carb. You shouldn't have a problem here.:)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
BTW, Holley sells the conversion for the carb. I bought mine from Summit Racing.:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it has 2?

There are 2 pcv valves on theses cars? I meant the tbe going into the back of the air cleaner...lol sorry i did not specify.
Also what conversion kit do you speak of for the carb..?
Sorry for all the?'s but i am kinda new to all this.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
73XR7 said:
PLMK if there is anything else i need .
Thanks

If you're gonna be hammerin' on the throttle, consider trashing the 3 groove valves and locks, go to single groove like the Boss 351. I put an intake valve in the oil pan because of those stoopid 3 groove locks. Aftermarket retainers are good insurance too!
(Assuming you're changing to 4V heads)
4V Clevelands like RPM's, don't try to make it a lo-RPM torque motor, you'll be disappointed.

If you <i>REALLY</i> want to rock-n-roll, consider a 750 DP Holley, .550" SOLID lifter camshaft, and an old Holley Strip Dominator intake.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
woah man...lol

one thing at a time Art i am not Dan gurney...lol
Well she has the 2V heads so will the locks work?

Also i already orderd the parts darnit all...lol

Is a 750 too big? on a near stock motor wit dual exaust 40 series flowmasters, pertronix ign, and 13 deg timing?

PLMK

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: woah man...lol

73XR7 said:
one thing at a time Art i am not Dan gurney...lol

Is a 750 too big? on a near stock motor wit dual exaust 40 series flowmasters, pertronix ign, and 13 deg timing?

PLMK
Hehe, sorry! Had a flashback from a previous life...<smile>
Near stock motor will be fine with a 600cfm Vacuum secondary carb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts