Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again. i currently have a 302 2v in my cougar with a holley 2 barrel carb. i really want to upgrade to 4 barrel. i now currently have flowtech headers non-coated :( , and flowtech dumpers. have you guys have had any experience with the edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold? i know they have two types, the RPM, and the RPM Air Gap, i was just wondering which one would be the best for more power. also, what r your ideas on carbs? which are best for this setup? thanx

·
11,000 Posts
AIR GAP

The air gap Edelbrock intake is not something I have used but it is a single plane high rise which would need a hole in the hood in order to use an air cleaner. It is intended as a race only part.

I recommend you think about the Performer RPM which is better suited to a stock engine for street driving.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks Royce, that answers a question that I would have been asking one day soon, not that I know anything about the air-gap, but I would have wanted a recommendation on what IM to use to do exactly the same thing as what el_c is doing now.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree with Royce on manifold. The carb. on a 302 is not going to benafit from anything biger than 600 CFM for street use.
The airgap doesn't do anything more than rpm until you get over 5500 rpm and below the rpm does better.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm using Edelbrock Performer 289/Holley 600 4v; works nicely. I've heard that the Performer RPM may be too big for the street (more for high rpm), but it's definitely the way to go for performance. In all the tests I've seen, the Air Gap posts huge gains, and behaves much like a dual plane manifold (e.g. low-end torque) despite its high profile. Only concern is (as mentioned) clearance.
On carb, 600 cfm is definitely good, but be vary of the choke considerations. The electric choke annoys me, I'd rather route a cable under the dash and do it myself (running the car to normal temps, then parking for 30 minutes - 1 hour makes it nearly impossible to start, cause the engine is still warm but the choke is closed).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Quick question ....

Not to step on your question but I noticed that you said 600 CFM was plenty for a 302 for street use .... what would you suggest for my 351 Cleve. Its .030 over with performer cam & performer IM, I currently have a 600 CFM edelbrock on there.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
ColdCougar, your 600 is probably still big enough for street use, assuming your running stock 2v heads on the mild cleavland.mm

·
Registered
576 Posts
THANKS

Thanks modified ...... I am using the 2v heads and was worried that 600 might be a little smallish (of course I am asking AFTER I bought the 600 lol)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts