Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone put a new 4.6L in a 70 Cougar? I don't think it would be that hard except for getting the dash to work. Anyone done it?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Seen one put in a 64 Fairlane sport coupe. Talked to the owner for awhile and sounded a project not for beginners. He had the most trouble with the trans. When it was all done he admitted that the 351C 2v with the 4v conversion would out run it.

1Fatcat from Ohio is in the middle of doing one right now. Look under the members listing and drop him an e-mail. He should be albe to give you the low down. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
check out DVS for 4.6 motor mounts :
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/

I think the 4.6 32v (cobra) motor has great power potential.
If you have the cash to throw that bad boy in there, by all means.....

Mark,

All you have to do is slap a vortech on that bad boy and bam! instant 400rwhp.

I have seen a stock block 97 cobra with a vortech at 10lb run
high 11's at a crappy track.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
All i can add is the things mass is larger than a 429 in mass. not as heavy of course but in actual size. I am not impressed with the one in my 94 even though it is a competant engine, I have never liked loss of low end tourque over the high winding 4.6.

·
Registered
433 Posts

They are not so easy to swap in I have heard. They are the same size as a 429/460. I had heard the iron block version was as heavy as a 460 as well, but I'm not too sure. The electronics would be no fun either. I believe all of the 4.6's ever used in the Stang were EEC-V controlled and OBD-II compliant meaning they had very complicated electronics. Most of the non-mustang applications came in at under 200 HP stock. Mods to this engine will cost more. For now anyway, It seems you can get the same power out of a conventional windsor block for a lot less money. However, if money isn't such a big deal then go for it. I think it would make a great daily driver engine too. Great fuel economy, smooth idle and revs up quickly. Just Think of all the electronics though. You'll have to go Fuel injected unless someone out there makes a carb intake for it (If they do it's probably a High RPM Drag inspired one that won't fit under your hood). I have looked at the cost of going EFI on my car and it adds up quickly, and that's on a 302. Windsor-Fox sells all the goodies for a 5.0 conversion and that stuff aint cheap. Ron-Morris performance also sells wiring harnesses for this swap. Both specailize in Mustangs, so all the stuff should work on your cat. I don't know if either of them have touched the modular engines yet though. I think it would be a cool swap for a driver though, but You will need your wallet! I'd go with EFI on a windsor block though. It'll still be different, but it won't break you. Hey, didn't they build fuel injected 460's for the big F series trucks? Now there is a thought...

·
Registered
206 Posts
From what I understand...the 4.6 is a heck of a lot wider than any Windsor or FE block. I think Mustang and Fords magazine did a tech article on a swap last year if I remember right. It seems that there were problems getting the new tranny crossmember positioned right and that there was extensive modification done to the engine compartment to get the 4.6 to fit...consequently the suspension had to be dealt with also...

·
Registered
794 Posts
The swap in M&F mag required quite a bit of hacking. They tossed the shock towers and installed a K member from a 99 cobra. Way too much fabbing for the average joe to do at home.

Here is some size info from the FRPP catalog:
Motor 302 | 460 | 281 (4.6 DOHC)
Width 18.75 | 26 | 30
Heigth 20.75| 26 | 29.8
Length 27.5 | 32 | 28

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Crazy Cat, lets see first you have to buy the cobra motor, then how much cash you gotta put out for the Vortech???

It dont add up my friend!! For the same amount of money I could make that 351C rock and roll!! (or better yet a stroker windsor) Plus it would fit in the car and have no computer headaches.

But whatever floats a mans boat. mm

·
Registered
246 Posts
The only reason to put a modular engine into a classic would be to be different.

It would be very expensive, difficult...

You could put the same cash into a Windsor and make quite the cool engine.

You could also put that same vortech on a SBF and get some good results.

I'm not a very big fan of the modular 4.6, at least, not in comparison to the 289/302/351

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok guys,

yes the 4.6 will fit but its alot of work. it wider then the fe's.
I had to remove the shock towers and fab a new front end.
also went with a rack and pinion. I ended up with a new tube front with a arms and coil overs. the wiring has been a nightmare but its about done. there is no company makeing a harness to mate the 4.6 to a mustang or cat, as stated the engine is run by the obd II. the only way I have been able to deal with the swap is many friends. One has a fabrication shop and I.m a auto tech with friends at Ford dealerships. the wiring has been the worst thing about this swap. the hours spent has been unreal.
I will post some pics soon. i went with a top loader 4 speed behind it, lakewood makes a bell to mate the engine and trans, altough it took some reworking. the crossmember is custom made as is the motor mounts and just about the whole damn thing.
I also went with the 4.6 cobra mill, I thought it would be a different attention getter. I know a good big block would out run it but how many 1969 svt cougars are out there?

I would be more then happy to help anyone with questions, just drop me a e mail

[email protected]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mark,
I agree with you when it comes to cost, dollar for dollar you can not beat the windsor. My point was that the 32v 4.6 has potential. It will cost you an arm though. It just simply has not been around long enough. Personally, I dont think it will ever match up to the 302/351 for parts availability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts