Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on the way home from work the oil pressure gauge started to drop really low, and the car stalled out at a stop. I figured it was a little low on oil since it does consume some, but it was almost full. I put a little in, drove it to work this morning, and the oil press needle was really boucy and instead of the normal 30-50 movement, it would go well up past 60 at a rev, and then back down to 15 or so as soon as the rpms dropped.
Oil pump? I've heard it could also be rod bearings?

With that in mind, we had a '98 Merc Grand Marquis towed into the shop today that the owner only had liability insurance. It will surely total, and I've been asked if I want it for $450. I'd only get it if I can use the 65k 4.6 motor. Are these the same thing as the Mustang GT motors? Will it fit in between the shock towers? I know almost nothing about those 4.6 modular engines and why they are different than the 351W I already have, other than it looks really wide.

Ideas?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
4.6L is only 281 cubic inches. Not a lot of torque to be had with them. That's one of the big reasons that Ford developed the 4R70W trans - to get the lower gearing for torque multiplication to get the car moving. Don't be fooled by the factory horsepower rating of the newer motors - they get that power at really high RPMs - which is not where you want power for a street car!

I'd rebuild the 351W in a heartbeat over the hassles you'd run into to drop a 4.6L into a classic Cat! Stroke the Windsor for even more fun!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Unless you want to rebuild the whole car, I wouldn't do it. You will need the engine, trans, and all custom brackets. You will have to do a coilover conversion because it wont fit between the shock towers.

You might as well yank it and bring it to my place so we can stroke it and do a roller conversion, for lots less money and hassle. Plus that ne T-5 you put in wont work with the Mod.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mod motors don't make any power????...I've got a 281 mod motor and yesterday on the dyno with C16 it made 598hp/670ft/lbs to the wheels on the stock block, heads, an eaton on top and of course with the right bolt ons

id rebuild the 351 as well...the 4.6 route is a lot of work

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll pass on it then. I knew that you guys would have the wisdom I needed!

It was backfiring on me on the way home last night, in addition to the oil pressure thing. I took off the valve covers to find this:

The Summit "cart" adds up so fast!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, it's not uncommon for the factory shaft to barber pole on you....doesn't expalin why the tip on your rocker arm started walking out on you..? those are pressed in pretty dam tight! Wonder if you have had spring bind going on this whole time...? See if you can repress that or get another one and see what you get after that....may get lucky.

I have an article at home on a 4.6 install in a cat....they had to modify the pan from rear to fron't sump, but they said it was a fit otherwise.....I always thought you had to lose the shock towers, but evidently not. It won't be the easiest path, but well worth considering....they now make intake systems for them to go the carb route if you don't want to mess with the injection part. I just bought a book on mod motors and there are many options and tons of power to be had.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, the twin cam engines are about as wide as a 460. They fit. The quad cam engines, not so much.
It's a great engine and runs incredibly smooth. But, the mods are really cost prohibitive, unless you just want one.

Come to think of it, replace the W with a 460 based engine. They're cheap right now with fuel prices up, and they react to mods the way Gremlins do to water.
gremlins.jpg

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yeah, the twin cam engines are about as wide as a 460. They fit. The quad cam engines, not so much.
It's a great engine and runs incredibly smooth. But, the mods are really cost prohibitive, unless you just want one.

Come to think of it, replace the W with a 460 based engine. They're cheap right now with fuel prices up, and they react to mods the way Gremlins do to water.
View attachment 26227
You mean to eating after midnight right? Not sure I would want to see a 460 start popping out baby 460's all over the place.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you want it to run , how about one of the turbo toyota inlne cyls---mid 9's out of the box--hot rod mag had one on the cover a couple years ago--really pissed off the purists--the shock towers could stay
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
if you want it to run , how about one of the turbo toyota inlne cyls---mid 9's out of the box--hot rod mag had one on the cover a couple years ago--really pissed off the purists--the shock towers could stay
doctordesoto
i am not a purist and that pisses me off! for those dumb fast and furious movies , what a joke!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts