Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't think I've ever seen a 4.6 in a Cougar before. Thanks for sharing the pic and good luck with your project. John

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My love for cougars goes way back like most of you. I have way more pictures of the whole process it is on the rotisserie right now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the heidt Ifs mustang II front end. The turbo has a 70mm compressor wheel. It should make around 700hp all said and done. CIMG0275.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sweeetttt!!! There was a cougar on ebay a couple months back who had a 4.6 in it. LOOKED GOOODDDD!! Bet you cant wait to get done to drive it

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the picture of that car when I was searching for images. It looks real nice. I have yet to see a picture of a old cat with a turbocharged 4.6 dohc. It is a tight fit. I need to find an intercooler that will fit between the lights that will support 700hp. More than likely I will have to make my own headlight assemblies, or cut the stock ones upto make room. I already have converted it to electric headlight motors. If I go air to air I will have to remove the factory hood latch. My idea is to use a newer style cable operated one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
kooade,

If that is a new motor to fire, make sure you put in the proper 8-9 qts of oil required at startup!!!! Ford sorta screwed the pooch when they neglected to tell folks about all the nooks and crevices in those DOHC heads to hide oil in!!!! Was just talking about this at my local Mustang shop where I ran my car on the dyno.....subject of oil pan stories came up! Once you change your oil the first time, and put 5qts back in, you're fine, as you will never drain all the old oil out!!!!

If you do not fill things up properly at start up, you will toast your engine.....lifters/rocker followers will rattle...... SOHC motors, no sweat!!!

Do a web search....you'll find the horror stories.....or simply pull your dipstick immediately after you shut down the engine....dipstick will be dry....no oil in pan.

Go figure....
Steve

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a dip stick yet. Its on my list. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to test fit a intercooler today.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hope you are a plumber/welder by trade! ;>) That's gonna be a really tight fit when it's said and done. I think if you do a google on 64 intercooled Falcon - you may gleen some good ideas from that guys setup. I think he had to go into the fender wells a bit with his setup as I recall. Wonder how it held up under the heat though? That's the tough hurdle to overcome - especially withthe 4.6 being a fatty anyway! Keep us posted this will be neat to watch!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CIMG0451.jpg I have most of the piping routed. So far no need to go into the fender well. The space between the headlights is only 23" give or take. The intercooler is setting in its place in the picture. The elbows turn into the engine bay. I couldn't be happier at this point with the lack of cool side piping needed. I am cutting up the stock cobra upper intake and moving the throttlebody from the drives side to the passenger side. I have cut up the hood latch to make room for the intercooler. It will have to be mounted backwards and made to operate by cable.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
kooade, why couldnt you try a 4v aviator intake or a contiental intake? the bends would be different for the t/b

justin

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have access to a mark VIII intake. They don't flow as good. I hadn't seen the either of the Continental or the aviator intakes before. I almost have this one done I have to weld on new bungs and cut the hole for the TB. It warped up like crazy. I turned it true on my lathe. I will post picture it looks kind of crazy on the facing plate turning. Thanks for the input guys. This is my first cougar, turbocar and modmotor car. I hated these engines too big for being so small that's an OX MORON.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts