Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trasplanting a 1998 4.6 cobra motor into my 69. now i have a nice 69 351w motor that will be availible very shortly....30 over 2v motor now has 4bl intake and carb
small cam runs very strong, make me an offer if you may want it

any thoughts on the swap?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You're a braver man than I... Either that or just a glutton for punishment.

I don't see how a 90 degree motor is going to fit ... but crazier things have been done. You'll at the very least be having to modify the shock towers and custom fabbing the mount points possibly having to remove the shock towers altogether. Also, seems to me the dual sump on the 4.6 presents issues with the steering setup.

I'm thinking the better money is spent on the windsor, but hey, if the cobra motor was free, I'd probably try it...

...as for selling your windsor, take that over to the Parts for sale forums... :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris, I'm attaching a picture of a car with the swap you propose. I cant find the one I took of under the hood but you can see that it is indeed a 4.6 under the hood of this nice 64 Fairlane sport coupe. I talked to the owner and he explained it to me but not in all the details. From what I gathered it is far from a easy swap. You will have to figure out all the wiring of the computer yourself as no one at the time he did the swap had any wiring kits out for it. It looked like the motor was put in with a shoehorn but it did fit without any hacking, and I,m sure the fairlane dosent have any more room under the hood than your cougar dose. I do remember him telling me he used an older non computer AOD and he had all kinds of trouble getting it bolted up to the modular block and getting a flywheel set up right. All said and done he admitted that the fairly stock Clevland he took out of it would kick the **** out of the 4.6 that he put in it. I wish I would have gotten his name and address so you could talk to him directly because if you did you would probably change your mind because the end really didnt justify the means. mm

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I tried to attach the photo but there must be some kind of problem. Guess I'll try later.mm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
logan
the 4.6 is no wider than an fe and the plugs are on the top hense no side clearence problem, I am also putting in a total control rack and pinon system that will give me some room. I know the big blocks will make the power but how many cougars are there out there with a 4.6?

mark
the wiring is not that bad I have a buddy at a ford shop, the main harness is a stand alone, almost like the 5.0 ho and everyone is swapping those things.

i am putting a toploader be hind it so the trans issue is not that bad. lakewood now makes a bell that bolts it to the motor part number 15230. mark if you can though try to send that pic

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I look forward to seeing it! The novelty of it alone will make it a popular car!! Good luck!! :D

MM, for the pic to attach, make sure it's smaller than 102000 bytes, or 102K... If it's larger, just resize the pic smaller. Main reason I limit the size of the pics is to be kind to those folks without high speed connections.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I had a problem loading a pic the other day. I made a new post in the picture section, and attached the photo, but nothing showed up, yet it appeared as though everything was running smoothly.. I went back out to the forum and looked at the title of my thread and there was a little paper clip image there so I said to myself that it must have worked, so I clicked on the link to make sure it was there - but it wasn't there - the pic just wasn't showing up.. I don't know what happened, and it wasn't like i didn't know what I was doing, cause I've made many attachments before. So I think MM --- that I know what you're talking about... - Chad
I'll try a dumb one right here just for the hell of it
I'm attaching a file

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris, I figured after I said it that you would use your toploader, but I guess someone else might try the AOD so they are warned. Also I remember the guy telling me about how he used the complete harness out of the wrecked doner car, so if you feel comfortable with the wireing by all means have at it. Personally I like the 4.6s they have good power, and are really smooth running and have alot of torque for there displacement. Give me an e-mail sometime with the details on your windsor, maybe I wont have to rebuild mine that way. I do plan on coming back to Columbus in november.
Logan my pic is only 69K so I dont know why it didnt attach, I'll try again now.mm

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan , I got a message that flashed by too fast for me to read it all but it said something about not being able to move the pic from my D drive. (directly from the hard drive) Last night I at first tried to send it from my cdrw drive and I thougt that was the problem, so I moved it to the hard drive and it still wont attach. Beats the heck out of me. I do appreciate the 100k limit as my out of city limits internet connection stinks. mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
yeah i got that flashed thing also so I don't know - maybe it'll just go away, but it seemed to happen when all the new features got started a few days ago. Trying not to sound like an agitator - Chad

·
Registered
794 Posts
That 32v 4.6 motor is huge. Check out them meausrements:
(Courtesy of FRPP catalog)

460 big block
Heigth 26"
Width 26"
Length 32"

281 DOHC (32v 4.6)
Heigth 30"
Width 30"
Length 28"

351W
Heigth 24"
Width 21"
Length 27.5"

I say go for it. Where are you getting the motor from?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
crazycat

the motor come from a friend that got rearended. the insurance totaled the car so he bought it back for me, I have the complete car. it only has 12000 miles on it, so i have all the wiring and computers.

mark got the pic, the braces should be there, I have the tracking number, I will find out what is going on.

Logan not to cry but I now have to log in everytime I come to the site....never had to before new changes any ideas?
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
1fatcat, Are you using Netscape? I haven't tested the new version with netscape yet. Also, you'll want to try deleting your cookies, that will most likely solve the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts