Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<---- that is the old 3rd Platoon logo form when I was in the US Army back in the early 80's. That's all. I am not into skulls and death, it is just Mr. Cold Steel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
MOS?

My MOS was 95B... Military Police for everyone saying "huh?". Stayed stateside for my tour, was pretty dissapointed about that one. I spent a lot of time in the south though, really like it back there. What did you guys do in the service? Duty stations?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Back when I was a "kid", I joined the reserves. Thought it would be fun to drive trucks. It was, as a reservist. So I was an 88M. When I went active, I was unable to change MOS's so I stayed an 88M. Retention NCO's used to be puzzled about why I was an 88M with a 125 GT. Go figure. That's the army.

With the reserves I was in Irvine, CA and spent 3 weeks over in Germany. Active I was in Uijongbu South Korea, Ft. Drum, NY and trained at Ft. Dix, NJ ~ Ft. Leonardwood, MO ~ Ft. Polk, LA

and now I'm here, driving a cougar... :D
Robert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Still in

I'm still in the Marines. Stationed in Yuma AZ right now. My MOS is 6282. (Air Wing, AV8B Harrier Mech) Swing with the wing baby!
Been overseas twice in my short 5 yrs. Okinawa, Thailand, Baharain, Persian Gulf, Japan, Australia, Wake Island, The Phillipines, and once I had a ten minute layover in Amsterdam. lol. I know it doen't count, but it's cool to say I've been there;)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Never in armed services

I'm one of those 'notch kids' that never had to register for the draft/selective service.

When I was of age, the war in VietNam had ended a couple years before.

I did, however, try my hand at the service academies, specifically the USAF. My ACT and SAT scores were 98-99 percentile of college-bound students, I was relatively physically fit being I was on the swim team, and I was (am) an Eagle Scout (the academies like well-rounded individuals, not bookworms, mama's boys or jocks). I got my nomination to the USAF Academy from one of our US Senators (six per Senator, twelve per state). I was so far along in the selection process that when the AF said they wanted my wisdom teeth out, I said 'Yes, Sir!' It was in mid April of my senior year in high school when I was eliminated because of my eyesight -- just six weeks before I was to have reported for induction!

Like I said earlier, the war had just ended and the military machine was drawing down. They only wanted 'perfect specimens' -- those who would be around for lifetime hitches. With my eyesight that wasn't going to be an option, not as an officer anyway. That left enlistment. When I tried to enlist I was told not to bother (eyesight again) since they still had a glut of people to muster out after the war.

C'est la vie!

As a somewhat amusing anecdote, when I was at Ohio State I had taken rifle marksmanship as a phys ed elective. I had been a competitive shooter in the NRA Junior program for years (Expert ranking) and took the PE class to stay in practice. The advisor to the college rifle team tried to recruit me into the team and get me to stay on another year but i told him that my funds had run out. He said that he could arrange an Army ROTC scholarship and guarantee my MOS to the AMU after graduation. Then I laughed in his face and told him of the rejection I had recieved from them when I had tried to enlist. I walked. Did I make the right choice?

Hmmmm, I would have probably be a retired O-6 by now....

D'oh!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11B C2

I was 11B (Bullet Blocker)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Still in too.

Navy Hospital Corpsman for going on 25 years. Although for the last 10 years I've pretty much been a paper pusher, I have spent a lot of time with the Marine Corps. It's a great life, and I've seen a lot of th world!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts