Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 120 white and 80 yellow grit 3m Bristle Discs for my 4 1/2" grinder ($60 shipped). In the first few minutes with gentle pressure on the front/underside of the hood (where rust-through was/POR15'd long ago - rust all gone), I lost the outer row of bristles on the 80. Moved on to my driver's side fender extension, and got down to bare metal fairly easily, but the bristles look more worn than should be for such a small effort. Anyone able to give an idea how long each disc will last? I'm thinking it would be much better to just buy a big bucket of paint stripper to pull off the paint layers, leaving the base primer layer. The paint/powder in the air was nasty to smell hours later. Eric.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You are way better off with a good DA sander and start with 60 grit pads. You'll be there forever in a day with anything finer.....and aircraft stripper is no faster! Trust me, been down that long slow road. You really need a good compressor with a large tank to run a DA though......and wear a mask!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts