Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:
Does anyone know very much about the 1968 X code cougars?
The engine is a 390 2V premium fuel. How many 1968 cougar
XR-7s' were ordered with this engine?Was it a popular option?
And was it rated 235 h.p. or 280 h.p. like it says on the "G"
page. Any information on this engine would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yes

See Royce Peterson's last post "New Kitty"
an Cool!
shane:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
390 X-code

OK, yes thanks very much. You know I read the thread about the new kitty on the trailer of Royces (how could it be missed) but failed to notice the engine size!
Stupid, stupid. Indeed this is a great engine. I think the 390 2V
X-code has the same high compression and pistons as the
390 4V Maurader, Yes?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I dont know?

I do know an ol' 390 makes a mountain of earth turnin' torque, when set up good.,..
shane:D

·
11,000 Posts
The "X" code 390-2V premium fuel engine was installed in very few 1968 Mustangs and Cougars in 1968 only. The figures in the XR7-G website were put there by me and are straight from the 1968 shop manual.

The 390 engines for 1968 were all basically identical save for intake and exhaust manifold differences across the Ford and Mercury line. Pistons were changed to get different compression ratios and there were slightly different camshafts for certain models. Those things are typically replaced with aftermarket parts during a rebuild so those differences are unlikely to exist today.

The "X" engine is therefore the same as a 390GT except for the intake and carburetor. X code engines only came with a C6 auto transmission. Tyoically they had either a 2.75 open or 3.25 Traction Lok rear axle. The 390GT came with Thermactor (smog pump) while the X engine did not require Thermactor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
390 X - code

Thanks again Royce! So a 1968 xr-7 ordered with this
390 2V X code, premium fuel,that has the C6 and 3.25
Locking axle would be a fairly rare cat?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts