Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I got this car going over it the previous owner I think,when he put the headers on he raised the motor with a floor jack and left a nice impression in the bottom of the pan.we have some extensive front end parts to replace someone told me the motor has to be pulled to replace the pan.Somebody tell me THIS IS NOT TRUE.It dosnt leak but I know its there.It runs great no need for a major overhaul yet.If the motor must come out Its going to have to wait then.Thanks Crusin weather has finally come to SOLON OHIO Dan:sun:

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
If you unbolt the cross member under the engine you should be able to replace it in the car. The center link also will(or mat) need to be droped. I have removed oil pans on 351W & 351C in cougars this way. I redid the oil pan in my 69 before I put it in the car. Good luck. Neal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neal

I really didnt thank that was right.Thers a lot of gear heads around here that pull motors like I change light bulbs.Where I live up here in the rust belt oil pans rust out in less than 6years.These wrench pullers get at least 500.00 bucks plus the pan to do it.They charged my mom 675.00 for an 83 Buick 7 years ago to do this.Engines dont break down up here they also rust out can you belive it ? Dan

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Your Cougar isn't a Buick. I would probibly charce $675 on the buick also. As that car does have a center cross member that will not unbolt. Look under your Cougar, You'll see what looks like a pipe that is lind of U shaped from side under the engine just infront of the tie roda & center link. You might also want to get yoyr self a shop manual for your car. That is a big help in deciding if you can do a job your self or not. Good luck, Neal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil pan

yep, Ill put it on the list for canfield or carlisle we"ll tackel the front end first and take a good look at the pan. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts