Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 70 cougar that i got with no motor. have built a 390 to go in it. i beleive it had a 351c originally. i know it had an fmx trans. trying to find motor mounts. found a kit with the rubber insulator and the plate to go on the block was wandering if anyone had used these and if it would work with the mounts that are on the frame for the cleveland block because they are sold seperately. cant believe it is so hard to find mounts for this car and engine. no listing for 390 in earlier cougars or mustangs. here is the link to the mounts i found any ideas. thx. http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=EMKFE+01&Category=Engine&subCategory=Motor+Mounts+&+Related&CatKey=EMUSTANG

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
390 was available in Cougars, 68-70 I believe, maybe 67 as well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
That is the right kit to use, you may or may not have to drill an extra mounting hole in the frame mount for the kit to line up with the engine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The frame mounts are different between small blocks and FE engines. At the bottom of the page you linked to said you will need Engine Frame Mount Brackets, Pair, #C7ZZ6028PR for those mounts.
Towcat is right you can redrill one hole in small block mounts, the FE frame mount has a different angle. I did a quick search on fordfe.com but did not come up with a dimention to move the hole. There were plenty of referances to using small block mounts though. Good luck, Mike

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...We have a customer that would like to trade you straight across his for yours.
If that doesn't pan out, I have a set of '70 351C stands all done (blasted and painted) I would be willing to sell. Am I to understand that WCCC does not have any of these?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If that doesn't pan out, I have a set of '70 351C stands all done (blasted and painted) I would be willing to sell. Am I to understand that WCCC does not have any of these?
We have tons of both versions, just trying to help a fellow MC.net member with free parts. What he needs are the FE / 67 289 stands, he already has the 68-70 small block version.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
We have tons of both versions, just trying to help a fellow MC.net member with free parts. What he needs are the FE / 67 289 stands, he already has the 68-70 small block version.
Free is good!

P.S. Nice sig Don!

·
Registered
913 Posts
When is someone going to make the L/H motor mount for the 427 side oiler? Or have they?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Are my original mounts going to be good? Can I just replace the rubber? Haven't even looked at them since I pulled the engine (390). Or would it be right to just figure on replacing them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don,
i would be willing to trade. since i am building on a budget and as you know fe fords are costly i have my engine built but dont have much more $ to finish things up. i am gonna try to get my car to my shop in the next week or two and can remove the frame brackets. this will save me having to drill these out as some have said on here i can do to get it mounted up. i was looking at the mustangs unlimited mounts bc they are so much cheaper and come with everything but if you know they are lower quality i might wait and save some money to get the ones from wcc. thanks to all for the replies i appreciate the help i am new and this was my first post and was surprised by all the help from everyone.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
R&S Mustang is the outfit that has in the past traded me (and others) straight across sb for BB. Their # is 541-926-5383.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don, In all due respect, the 427 side oiler is drilled different than the other FE engines, the mount has to clear the side oiler hump. I have built a few 427's and had to modify a 390 mount to work.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I don't know what happened to my response yesterday.

Tow cat is correct. 1968 427 uses a different mount on the driver side.

Motor mount support bracket for 1967-70 FE engines on a Cougar.

C7ZZ-6046-A R.H. 390, 427, 428CJ
C7ZZ-6046-B L.H. 390, 428CJ
C8ZZ-6046-B L.H. 427

1 - 20 of 22 Posts