Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. I need a little help/information regarding the installation of a 390 engine and C-6 transmission in my 68 cougar. First let me say that my car is the GT that came from the factory with the 390 and C-6. At some point in time someone changed the motor and transmission out for a 302 and C-4, and I am now in the process of putting the car back the way it came from the factory.

I found a 390 and c-6 in a 71 mercury at a bone yard and did a complete overhaul of the motor. since this motor and transmission came out of a full sized Mercury with a column shift what is involved in changing the shiftier and kick down lever, on the side of the transmission, to my cougar floor shift. Also, can you tell me if the frame mounts for the 302 motor (currently in my car) will work with the 390 motor mounts. Any other information anyone can give on this change back I am doing will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Wayne

·
Registered
630 Posts
also i believe you will need the 390 motor mounts i beieve. i just pulled my 390 out of my 67 on friday so i can replace the inner fenders and add the shock tower reinforcement kit which i would strongly recommend.

·
Registered
630 Posts
also i believe you will need the 390 motor mounts i beieve. i just pulled my 390 out of my 67 on friday so i can replace the inner fenders and add the shock tower reinforcement kit which i would strongly recommend.
my mistake exhuast manifolds have 8 bolts each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts