Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m close to installing my rebuilt 390 with hooker super comps back into the car... How would you guys go about installing it? I know its going to be tight... should I install with tranny(c-6) on the motor or put tranny in position first? Any other advice or pics would be appreciated...

·
Registered
447 Posts
take your time it IS a tight fit , not fun
but a big block thru headers sounds sweet

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I find it easier to install trans/motor as a unit personally. Especilly with LT headers to deal with....you can lay them into bay and work everything loosely into position. It's a knuckle buster no matter how you go about it. Trying to make sure you have the trans and engine mated up correctly if you go about it the other way is much mor problematic IMHO. Be sure to use an engine leveler on your cherry picker. It make life much easier. Good luck, do it safely.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you have the height it is easy to put it in one unit. If you dont, put the engine in then the trans.I find it easier this way. Without the trans on the back of the engine you can drop it in pretty square and easier to do alone. Then put the convertor in the trans and jack it up in place. Maybe more work to some but its the way I do it in my garage. It has a lower ceiling and works well!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's a good point, in my old garge I had to move the car around to where I could get my cherry picker between the rafter joists......position accordingly!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Engine + trans always!! Use a tilter. It becomes a one-man job. I keep the engine+trans in position and pull the car up slowly as I tilt and lower. Becomes one smooth operation. Factory always did this -- never a two-part assembly.

With FE + headers, I have never done it but looking at others' headers you're going to have to slip those tubes in first or at least while the engine is 6" up above the mounts.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have done it multiple times. Used Tri-y full length tho. I have done it with Trans and headers attached. I find it easiest for me to have the driver side attached, and then the passenger loosely attached, or laying in the bay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts