Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the best ways to make a stock 390 into a high performance 390 i dont want it to be a total gas guzzler thou

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
All I did was put a '68 cast iron 4 barrel intake, 750 Holley VS, 2-1/4 dual exhaust with h-pipe, a 428CJ cam, and electronic ignition, and it scares the crap out of me ;) With a C6 shift kit, 2500 stall converter, and 3.25 trac-loc rear in my Fairlane. Im totally hooked :)

rick

·
11,000 Posts
I would use the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and install a Comp Cams 260H and a set of headers from FPA. The stock carburetor is fine, if you need a new carb a Holley 750 is better.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just being a 390 its going to drink some gas.Its not so much as being a guzzler it already is its just how much.I get about 9 with the cam and the 4.11.High test may strech it a bit futher.I got my license in the 1st gas crunch and had a 73 Buick 455.If I get the "how much do I get a mile?' question I say who cares.Id rather pay for gas than designer water ANY DAY.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I must say my 390 was a Y code 2 barrel motor. So the improvements I made were very noticeable :) Plans do call for headers and an alum. intake soon.

rick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
390 heads

Hey there,
If you Pony up the dough for a set of Edelbrock heads to go with a performer setup, then be warned about port mismatch with headers. The e-brock heads have bigger ports that don't match a LOT of headers out there and really have heartburn with the cast iron pieces.
The fix is fairly simple. Get a flange that fits them from e-brock or some other source like Ed (as in header by...) and have a new flange put on your headers.
Just a word of warning.
The e-brock heads are nice to look at. I haven't run any, but I've seen a magazine test on them. And I only believe half of what I read in magazines.
Good Luck.
Kraven:alien:

·
11,000 Posts
I have Edelbrock heads on my green GTE's 427. The ports are a perfect match for either 428 CJ manifolds or Hooker FE headers.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The article at the HotRod magazine site gives info about this very problem.
1 3/4 inch tubes didn't match up.

A good way to hotrod the 390 2v is to find an old cheap iron 4v intake and gasket match it to the heads with a dremel or die grinder. This will increase volumetric efficiency (read that hp/torque/ and mpg) and won't cost much.
A 750 edelbrock carb would be a good match too.
I'm retrofitting one on an LT1 corvette currently and there have been no surprises.
Good luck,
Kraven

·
11,000 Posts
Get your facts straight. The Hot Rod article is for the engine in David Freiberger's pickup. They used Hedman PN 89100 truck headers which are designed to mate up with stock 390 heads.

The Hooker 1 3/4" headers for 1967-70 Cougar FE applications are a perfect fit on Edelbrock aluminum heads or 428 CJ heads.

I emailed David Freiberger about a couple questions I had about that article. It is one of the best written articles on building an FE I have seen.

·
11,000 Posts
By the way,
After the article was sent to the printer they plopped a 750 Holley on the engine and picked up 20 horsepower. As always the Holley makes more power. It also pulled better BSFC.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Royce "walking parts number database" Peterson wrote:
"The Hot Rod article is for the engine in David Freiberger's pickup. They used Hedman PN 89100 truck headers which are designed to mate up with stock 390 heads.

The Hooker 1 3/4" headers for 1967-70 Cougar FE applications are a perfect fit on Edelbrock aluminum heads or 428 CJ heads."

Yep. And a guy with a set of off brand headers for his 390 car might buy Edelbrock heads and expect them to work with his headers. And they won't. I was just trying to keep the guy from spending more money than he had to. Ever think of that? Some people are on a budget and can't afford to go buy a 50 grand GTE and then start hot rodding it with a blank check. That's what I gathered from this guy Outlaw.

You're just another concours guy who should stay out of discussions involving racing and horsepower. As evinced by your spool diatribe on another thread, where you stepped on your johnson again.

"I emailed David Freiberger about a couple questions I had about that article. It is one of the best written articles on building an FE I have seen."

As a journalist, car enthusiast, and racer, I agree. Yeah, I'm a professional racer and auto journalist. And you're just a chump with a fat checkbook and a bunch of old data from the sixties.
If I want to know about decklid depressions, I'll call you.

Royce "numbers matching" Peterson wrote:
"By the way,
After the article was sent to the printer they plopped a 750 Holley on the engine and picked up 20 horsepower. As always the Holley makes more power. It also pulled better BSFC."
Yeah, that was when Holley put up more dough for advertising and you began to see more and more sponsorship for things like Power Tour. But Edelbrock is still taking out 2 page color ads every month. So, they ran into a dilemma and erred on the side of caution.
Oh, and a bit of tuning on the Ebrock would have brought it up to the same hp/torque levels. Base tuning would have put it down at least 20 hp on that engine.

Anymore propaganda you and your matching number, one sided experience want to pull out of your 2 dimensional world? Caution though. Blabbering about rare intakes and the "total performance era" won't do anything for you in my eyes since I've built 5.0 stangs that would eat your ancient FE engines up. Even your mighty 427, mr. moneybags.
And a 396 chevelle
An AMC AMX
Two 429 powered cobras
The Hemi powered Dodge Coronet that I put together a couple of years ago did better with edelbrocks on a cross ram intake than Holleys. That would be dual quads, just in case you and your holley haven't looked up at another car in the last 30 years. Which I gather is the case.

Be free to like what you will. But don't keep trying to zing me on this board just because I differ opinions (and facts apparently) with you and your checkbook. Just because I don't post my resume on this board in the hopes that doing so will make me cool or appreciated doesn't mean I can't keep taking you to the hoop again and again.
In fact, I look forward to meeting you in person to continue this and any other debate you wish to open your pie hole and start.
See you this summer.
You need a hug.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
royce

Royce Peterson,
My apologies for the previous message. It was a bit mean.
I've been working on an article about a t-bolt that Reggie Jackson claims ownership to, but the original owner still holds the title, and the American Graffiti T-bird (Yes, I know where it is and I'm writing about it. No, -to everyone- I won't tell you where it is.).
The concours crowd have been bugging me to death about them and they're driving me nuts.
I reacted badly.
Sorry.

·
11,000 Posts
Hey, we are talking about 390 Ford's here. AMX's, Chevelles and 5.0's are for some other forum.

I stated facts from actual experience. You quoted a website article and were mistaken in your efforts. It is kind of a coincidence that I know some folks who were at the dyno session.

I own one numbers matching car, the blue 427 GTE. I am not a journalist, just an aircraft mechanic. One who researches things carefully before stating them. I don't know about the moneybags thing, you might be surprised how my money is spent.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Sorry Outlaw, this is getting out of hand. you 2 be nice or I will have to lock this thread. No more thrashing here.

Rick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Outlaw,
If you go out trying to buy headers for your car, and you have a set of 390 GT heads, you will wind up in trouble if you don't look before you leap.
Parts get swapped down through the years. I have a friend I just helped out of a similar predicament. He thought he had factory 2v heads and wound up realizing he has 390 GT heads.
I wasn't erroneous in my assessment of the article. my position stands. With the 390, you have to run the numbers and be doubly sure of what you start with before you order parts.
Anything from exhaust headers to Edelbrock heads could give you minor heartburn if you don't check it out first.
Mating headers to GT heads in a cougar can give problems.
Mating edelbrock heads to GT manifolds won't work.
Just look before you leap.

And Mr. Peterson, I wasn't mistaken or misquoting. I do research for a living. I just didn't know you were marking your territory here.
The 390 headers used by David's truck are truck parts. I verified that at summit before I posted. But, you'll be surprised to know that many low buck header companies make their FE headers with the truck flange plate for the 390 since they sell that part number the most. This translates over to all of the flanges being punched out to the 390 size. Even the ones for the Mustang/Cougar header marked for 352-428 engines. And guys on budgets or newbies tend to believe all headers are created equal.
Research. Not assumptions about manufacturing or parts thereof.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Rick - not to be picky but he also claims the original manifold is over 100lbs. I thought it was only 70 - but then again it only put my back out for 2 days when I lifted it out of the trunk of the 70

·
11,000 Posts
Something is wrong with that auction. How could it open at $375, have only one bid and be over $700?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts