Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting pictures. Thanks 1969XR7Vert! History is block magnafluxed, decked, align-bored 0.30 over and oil galleys opened up for better lubrication and oil flow to the main bearings. Please comment on the good the bad and the ugly that you see. Looking at possibly using this in my '68 XR-7 GT 4-speed 3:25 locking Cat even though it's clearly a '67 block. Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks real good, would love to have that block and you could have my 68. LOL It would make my 67 GT closer to original. Oh well, One step at a time.

Lloyd

·
11,000 Posts
If the date code is visible in your pictures it is too small for me to see. What is the date code?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Royce, date code is 7L25 or 26 cannot remember and the block is crated up on a pallet. If "L" represents December then I presume it's 26 as I would guess engine production was shut down for the Christmas Holiday. The build date of my GT was 3/15/68 so too wide of a window to be considered date code correct. I will try and post Marti Reports later.

·
11,000 Posts
OK so it is a 1968 model year block, just a month or so too early.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Royce '68 model year a month or so too early unless I could somehow blame that darn strike ha ha.

·
11,000 Posts
The reason I said that is because you said in the original post that "its clearly a '67 block".

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Hi Royce, date code is 7L25 or 26 cannot remember and the block is crated up on a pallet. If "L" represents December then I presume it's 26 as I would guess engine production was shut down for the Christmas Holiday. The build date of my GT was 3/15/68 so too wide of a window to be considered date code correct. I will try and post Marti Reports later.
Actually, the letter "L" represents the month of November, the letter "I" wasn't used so it wouldn't be confused for the number "1". John

·
Registered
316 Posts
Will be a great engine with the addition of the oil distribution work . That was I believe their only real stock weakness .

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Meh - just because the block code is a 68 doesn't mean it wasn't in that car from day 1.....Ford is famous (particulalry on FE's) for running castings for a long time and continuing to use them. Either way it sounds like you have a good game plan....I just got a 69 390 H code car that didn't have the original motor (got a 351W) so I picked up a 71 390 block (dirt cheap) since I plan to go stroker on it - doesn't matter to me at that point. But I'm not a purist.....only matters how it runs if you ask me! (I prefer my cats scalded! LOL)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
"I just got a 69 390 H code car that didn't have the original motor (got a 351W)"

Wouldn't a 69 H code have been a 351?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts