Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I'm tired of listening to the exhaust leaks on my 390 on the tops of #3 and #7 so I'm taking them off to get machined to see if that helps.I've got the passenger side off,but not out yet.I've got 4 bolts off the drivers side but I'm having a bear of a time getting at the ones by the shock tower.do I need to unbolt the motor mount and jack up the engine on that side?my back was getting a little stiff so I called it a day and will get back at it tomorrow.

Terry

·
Registered
439 Posts
That is how I do that job!

·
11,000 Posts
Just be sure to not use gaskets when you put it back together. They always blow out. There were no gaskets originally, and none are needed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When you are dealing with a big block in a Cougar, there is no EASY way. Just to add to what Royce said, both surfaces must be machined in order to not need gaskets. Good luck.

·
11,000 Posts
Actually I have never had any of the surfaces machined. Sometimes they have been pitted from rust. I do clean them thoroughly with a wire wheel if the parts were not sandblasted or vatted first. They can be pretty badly pitted and still seal off perfectly. A light smear of the cheapest RTV you can find works fine, although I have also used Permatex #1 or #2 and silicone bathtub caulk with equally good results.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I used ultra copper on the leak on #3 last year and it held up until I fired it up this year and it started to leak again that's why I'm pulling both off to get them trued up.Can I run a belt sander over the ports to true them up or should I leave that to the machine shop?

·
11,000 Posts
You need to be sure the manifolds sit flush on the heads. Use whatever means are necessary to achieve that goal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts