Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 390 s code xr7 with a 4v carb(orig.). It needs rebuilding and or replacement. I was thinking of replaceing it with a holley 4160. It is lisited in mustang/cougar catalog as a replacement for the 390,302 and 351w. I'm not looking for a performance carb. just a good replacement. My question is what cfm to get, should it be dual feed and will I need anything other than the stock fuel line stuff? Any help or opinion will be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A 4160 is ok but I never cared for the rear metering plate without replaceable rear jets. I prefer the 4150.

From the sounds of it though I think a Eldebrock performer would make you more happy. The 2 piece body makes leaks far and few and the carb is easy to make small jetting adjustments without dissasembling the carb by just changing the metering rods. The best thing is they are pretty trouble free right out of the box.

If you have a auto you will have to have the Ford kickdown linkage kit that comes extra, about 12 bucks. I would use the 750cfm if it was me. The downside is the location of the fuel inlet, you will have run a hose to it, unless you get the optional fuel inlet fitting and make up a new steel line to it. The upside is they work nice with the stock air cleaner for that semi stock look.

You can get either a manual or electric choke with the manual saving about 50 bucks. There nice trouble free, pretty well bolt them on and forget them carbs that run pretty good.

Before all the Holley fans get out of whack, I'm just saying that the Eldebrock is a good trouble free, all around carb, not the highest performer. I will also say if you decide to go with the holley, get a new one, not some swap meet part thats wore out and some rocket scientest's golden screwdriver (or drill) has already screwed up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I used to have a Holley 4150, but someone stole it right off my engine when my car [70 Cougar] was left in a bad neighborhood overnight! That must mean it's good right? :( Anyway it turned out that it didn't need a carb when it came time to get rid of the car, so that was the end of that.

On my new Cougar [68 XR-7] I went with an edelbrock carb, because I knew how trouble free it would be. Being that this engine [302 4v] is pretty slow and won't ever be fast, really I knew that I wasn't going to need to be dicking with the carb too much anyway, so the edelbrock seemed like the perfect choice. As far as my next engine goes... I'm planning on a 770 cfm Holley Street Avenger!! - I can't wait for that one.

Edelbrock is a real "set it and forget it" carb and they work great, so in short I'd go with the edelbrock also. - Chad

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
390-4V carbs

Too bad I didn't subscribe to this forum earlier. I had been picking up old original Ford Holleys at swap meets around here. In fact, Beta Cat has an original Ford GT390 carb from a 66 Fairlaine. (Ford part number stamped on the air horn is C60F-6210-xx with those last x's some other letters but I can't remember them off hand right now.) The Holley part number (list #) also verifies this carb as a 66 GT390 carb. I halso had 67 and 69 GT carbs as well, but sold them off for a song. The GT carbs have the fuel inlet on the driver's side center hung fuel bowl, then a small diameter line going out the passenger side, around the electric choke, and back up into the passenger side of the rear bowl. These carbs are supposed to be a 600cfm vacuum secondary carb, with the rear betering block (4150). Mine runs perfectly on my 73 351C-4V. This carb set up probably gained me almost four tenths at the track. My buddy once borrowed my carb for his V-8 Pinto for a weekend and it also gave him that 'magical' four tenths better ET over his Holly 1850. Go figure.

I think I might have one more of these carbs back in my barn somewhere. I don't think it is complete though. It may be missing its base plate.

I would have to agree with the other respondants here when they say that Holleys are pains. They leak constantly and they warp easily from 'gorrilla mechanics' playing with them. The Edelbrock carbs (really they're just Carter AFBs) are definitely easier to install. Just pull it out of the box and slap it on there. Of course, you can get the quick tune pak for the Carters that has a bunch of various metering rods and such and you can tinker away to your heart's content.

Have fun!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
676 Posts
Spread bore

I noticed in all of this talk of carbs no one mentions a spread bore carb like a Quadrajet. I know, GM stuff, probably breaking several commandments on a Mercury list, but I've always liked the part throttle performance of the spread bore. And I think they give better mileage.

Is there an intake manifold available for any of the Ford family of engines to accept a spread bore carb? I seem to recall a 460 powered Mercury station wagon a friend had in high school running some kind of spread bore. Any body seen one on other Ford engines?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ford spread bore carbs

Neal,

Yes, Ford made many spreadbore 4Vs. In fact, all 4Vs from 72-84 were spreadbores. That means you can find factory spreadbores for the 351C and 429/460. Earlier 351C- and 429-4Vs had squarebore (Holley pattern) carbs except the 429CJ which used a Rochester QuadraJet! That's right boys and girls, Ford used a GM QuadraJet on the 429CJ on a unique (because of the bore and bolt pattern) cast iron intake manifold. There were actually three different 429-4Vs. The 'N' code, or 'ThunderJet', the 'C' code CobraJet and the 'J' code Super CobraJet. ThunderJets had an Autolite carb on a cast iron intake, the CJs were desribed above, and the SCJ had a Holley on an aluminum intake.

As far as I know, all FEs had squarebores (I don't know for sure 'cause I never got 'in' to FEs.)

Again, as far as I know, all 289/302/351W-4Vs were squarebore.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Original carb choice

Scode grrreat choice the original is way to go in my opinion. I am looking to selling off my Holleys C7OF-A and C9OF-R and replacing w/4300s just like they had originally. I've never been happy adjusting carbs near daily and 4300s seem much more dependable/reliable this way.My 67 390 4 speed w/C7OF-A Holley and 3.25 gearing gets 150 miles to a tank of gas so about ten mpg. I hoping to get a bit better w/4300s and not have to retune as often but does get to gas station FAST!!!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts