Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one read this, and is it worth getting a back issue? Thanks for any information

·
11,000 Posts
It was a good article with a couple exceptions.

First, they used a hydraulic roller cam that was extremely mild. It would have made the same power with a solid lifter flat tappet cam, maybe a little more. The grind used was suitable for the engine's intended use in a pickup for trailer towing but the expense of installing a roller cam was not justified.

Second, they don't tell you in the article that they installed a Holley 750 CFM carb and picked up another 30 horsepower compared to the Edelbrock 800 CFM in the article.

Also, they ported the heads and act like anyone could do the same thing. Don't believe it, you can ruin a set of heads if you don't know what you are doing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds typical of Hot Rod, I was hopeing for something more along the lines of a Car Craft build up :D . This years heads vs that years heads and a good cheap intake with a ignition upgrade and good carb and matching cam.
Do they just state off hand that they did some porting or go in to detail. I ported and polished my mustang heads and intake with faverable results and am anticapating a little work on whatever heads I decide to go with any way.

·
11,000 Posts
They don't detail the work at all.

Still the best FE article I have seen in years. David Freiberger (editor of HR and the writer) is the guy who made Car Craft what it is and is making Hot Rod excellent as well.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I agree. David Freiberger is a real working man's magazine editor. He looks to do much of his own work, and just like most people, has a ton of projects going on at once. I subscribe to both books and really noticed the difference since he took over each one.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts