Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading(that can be dangerous)a ford engine rebuild bookIt seems to me the 2 engines are almost the same except the distance-crank shaft that the piston travels almost all the other parts are the same.so you can take a 390 make a few changes an get a 428.Am I missing something else.Intake man,exhuast man.?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Quote:
It seems to me the 2 engines are almost the same...

Yes, but what a few thousanths between friends?

If you increase the bore and stroke of a 390, the most typical cubic inch displacements are 406, 410, and 428.
These cubic inch displacements are famous in the early 60 model galaxy crowd.
They are great torque monster motors.
I have books at home that have the specs for the mains, journels, and valves etc. at home... would you like me to look for something specific for you?
shane:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dan,
The standard 428 has a bore of 4.13, where the 390 is only 4.05. Very few 390 blocks will safely bore to 428 specs (ask me how I know). The 428 also has a longer stroke (3.98 vs the 3.78 of the 390). The 390 is internally balanced, but the 428 is externally balanced, so it requires a flexplate or flywheel specific to the 428 and 410 FE. The combination of the .08 bigger bore and the .20 longer stroke make up the 38 extra cubic inches. The Merc 410 motor is simply a 390 block with a 428 crank. The 406 is a 428 bore with a 390 crank.
The garden variety 428 and 390 motors shared the same heads depending on what year the car is. The 428 CJ is a different animal altogether.The 428 CJ blocks also had an extra web at the mains that are only found on later 390 truck blocks. And the 428 CJ used an intake and heads that are unique to 68-70 428 CJ motors.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible (soon to be 416 FE...030 over 390 with a 428 crank)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The 71-76 model 390 truck blocks will bore to 4.15 without hitting the water jacket, I do not know how much meat this left in there however... I have had three of them done at Calverts Machine in Denton Texas. I had assumed that all 390 blocks were the same, and did not know the T blocks had an extra web. I have all of this info in my books at home, I just have not read much of it.
I have never owned a CJ motor, always had to build my own stuff.
its hard to beat the Edelbrock intake and the 4V heads with a little work and a good cam.IMHO
shane
PS you had better not ever mix and mismatch your 390-428 rods pistons and cranks, I found out this makes a F'n grenade when they are out of balence!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Truck blocks

The 71-76 model 390 truck blocks will bore to 4.15 without hitting the water jacket, I do not know how much meat this left in there however... I have had three of them done at Calverts Machine in Denton Texas. I had assumed that all 390 blocks were the same, and did not know the T blocks had an extra web.

I just had a D4TE (1974) truck block bored .030 over. According to the sonic mapping it could go 428 bore, but would only leave .140 at the thinnest spot. If you have had three 390 blocks go .10 over you are a very lucky man. "T" blocks that can take a 4.13 bore are few andfar between. Again, ask me how I know. Most "T" blocks are only good for .060 over. My block is one of the reinforced web truck blocks with the thick cores. My machinist found that although the sonic map showed ot was OK, there were some corrosion problems that the sonic map did not find. Before I ever planned to use a 390 block, truck or car, for a 428 I would have mapped and closely inspected by a good FE machinist.

The rods for the 390-428 are pretty much the same except for the SCJ rods. I am having mine reconditioned, rebushed and balanced as we speak, and hope to have the whole rotating assembly balanced by weeks end. Then it's assembly and installation. Hope to have it all ready for the nats in June.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the best you can get out of a 390 is 410.I was just noticing how similler some of the parts were.But when the time comes I know where an offenhuser dual quad is sitting on the shelf waiting for a good home.But the paint comes first.Thanks that was quite a bit of info.Royce will jump in and give us some more.It good knowing what parts you can swap out if you come along some at a swap/show.

·
Registered
448 Posts
390 410 428

Dan,
The FE I am building for my cougar is 416 ci's. It is a .030 overbored 390, with a 428 crank. If you were to bore it .060 it would yield around 422. A 390 can be used with a 428 crank with the only difference being the pistons, crank and and flexplate. Most FE parts are pretty easily interchanged until you get into the high dollar 427 stuff. But most of the base 390 428 stuff can be used, as long as the parts stay matched to the balancing requirements.
The offy 2x4 would add a very cool vintage touch to any FE. I am using an original ford low rise dual quad and two holley 600's on top of my 416.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts