Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading a lot on the forums lately and am trying to nail down some details.

What I have is a 68 xr7 and am wanting to swap to an AOD and also just acquired a late 70"s 351w. Now I know the bell housing is the same and the motor mounts are the same, but what I am trying to figure out is what headers to use and what flex plate I need to use. Also I need to know if I can use the accessories off of the 351w ex. p/s pump, alt?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
dave

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
How much of the donor car do you have? If you have "all" of it, you should be able to use the whole thing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I installed just what you are talking about in my 67, use the 351 flex plate, and I also used most of the accessories including the serpentine belt. you will have to buy a new trans. support or fab one up because the rear mount is a little further back than stock. I didn't have to cut the drive shaft, just one inch off the slip joint. You can use your 67 shifter with a little bending of the arm between the shifter and the trans.

Edit- You will also need a TV cable from Locar, that tells the AOD when to shift

1 - 3 of 3 Posts