Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Cougar with a 351W and 2bbl card all stock. I want to replace that with a 4bbl carb and manifold combination. What is the best way to go and where is the best place to get it from? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought a 650 would be good but a mechanic told me I should get something bigger like a 750 if it has a vacuum secondary and a 650 if it is a double pumper. I am not sure exactly why but that is what I was told. Any answers?

·
Banned
89 Posts
depends on which 351w you have, that year there was 2 made, one was beefier everything. i got lucky and it paid off big finding out, if you got your numbers off the block i can tell you. they only made the beefier one for 68/69

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just to avoid confusion, there was no '68 351. '69 was the first year. The differences between the 2V and 4V versions are pistons, intake, carb, plus standard dual exhaust for the 4V. That's it.
ALL 351Ws came with beefed-up block, crank and rods compared to the 289/302 engines, so there was really no need for a "heavy-duty" version.

Don't use a double-pumper carb on a car has an automatic and/or "highway" gears. On a stock engine, 650cfm (or even a 600) will be fine, but you can definitely get by with a properly set-up vacuum secondary 750, and not grow out of it should you upgrade cam, heads, etc. later.

Edelbrock Performer RPM and Weiand Stealth are good intakes for power while maintaining driveability. Edelbrock Performer or stock Ford intake will make it easier to fit everything under a stock hood, but can become restrictive with further upgrades. If you use a stock Ford intake, be sure to get the spacer that goes between the carb and intake.

·
Banned
89 Posts
just to avoid bigger confusion, your wrong.
my 351w has a date code of 1968, and a build date of 1968, and came out of a 1968 fairlane.

the windsor has been around since 1961

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Its certainly possible to find 351W components with late '68 dates, since '69 model year production actually began in August or September. But 351Ws weren't available in pre-'69 model year vehicles. Period.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is it possible the Fairlane produced in August '68? And somebody on the assembly line was generous???

·
Banned
89 Posts
its possible but everything i have looked up, even my ford book, describes this motor as being an only 68/69 thing. sure we can pick fly sh*t out of pepper but the bottom line is its considered a 68/69 motor so why not go with it :D

all i was saying is he should check to see if he has that specific 351w, its a solid motor with some goodies :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts