Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the casting numbers on the block (F4TE-6015-AA-18) and that tells me I have a 1994 engine.
Went to Ford to buy the timing marker and they told me the marker bolts to the timing cover on the drivers side. It sounds right because there is no room on the passenger side due to the hose on the water pump is in the way and you can't see the HB. As I was leaving the parts dept. a mechanic said the marker is on the passenger side and it's real hard to see.
Who is right? Can't find anything with a google search and I don't want to open the part bag cause they won't take it back.
Engine is not running or I would hook up the timing light to see which is closer, left or right.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
That casting number tells you that you have a 94 or later block. The actual casting date code is near the casting number (i.e. 13D5 would be 13th of April, 1995)

Timing mark location depends on the year and application. That's why aftermarket balancers have several different sets of timing marks!

Just for semi-related info, I'm using a '92 Truck engine in my car, and the timing mark is on the passenger side. Water pump big hose is on the driver's side. Oil dipstick goes into the driver's side of the block as well... My '97 F-250's 460 has the big w/p hose on the driver's side, so that probably holds true for the 351 trucks also... The same engine in a van might be different.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm running my original '67 289 balancer and timing cover on my 351W which came out of a '89 F350. As long as your timing cover and balancer match, you're fine.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
1969 351W had the timing pointer on the driver's side, with the water pump hose on the passenger side. All other years are the opposite. If your hose is on the pass. side, you should have the '69 three-bolt style balancer. If you have a later style factory balancer, you'll need to mount the marker on the passenger side, but as noted, it will be very hard to read with the hose in the way. If the balancer is an aftermarket one, the pointer can go on either side.
Congrats on the F4 block, by the way. Those are roller-cam ready and fairly sought after.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. I guess I can find TDC and at least get the distributor in so it will start. (Engine was running before the gear pin broke on the bottom of distributor.) Once I get it running, I'll put the timing light on it to see where the marker should be bolted to the timing chain cover. Thanks again!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Something caused that pin to shear... Generally that happens when something like a piece of the nylon timing gears makes its way past the oil pump screen and jams the gears of the pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts