Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a 1995 351W roller motor in my 69 351W M code/FMX tranny.
Will my Alternator/PS pump and brackets,FMX tranny,exhaust manifold, driveshaft,
and flywheel all bolt up exactly the same way as my 69 351W. I am hoping for a simple install.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I would like to install a 1995 351W roller motor in my 69 351W M code/FMX tranny.

Will my Alternator/PS pump and brackets, They should, if you use the '69 front cover and water pump. You'll need a new crank pulley.

FMX tranny, No problem. Use the '69 flexplate.

exhaust manifold, No problem.

driveshaft, No problem.

and flywheel No problem.

all bolt up exactly the same way as my 69 351W. I am hoping for a simple install.

You'll need to add a provision for the fuel pump, unless you're using electric, and a distributor gear that's compatible with a roller cam.
Oil pan and pickup will also most likely need to be changed.
Oh, and if you're using an original 16-bolt intake manifold, you'll need to find a way to plug the unused holes. (If using the '95 heads.)
And I thought of one more thing: If you use the '69 front cover, the timing pointer will be on the wrong side for the degree marks on the '95 balancer. You can address that a few different ways:
a. The least expensive is to use an aftermarket timing tape to put the marks in the correct place on the balancer for the '69 pointer.
b. Use an early '70s timing cover, one that still has provision for a mechanical fuel pump, and a timing pointer on the opposite side from the '69 version. If you go this route, the timing may be difficult to read, because the water pump outlet will be in the way.
c. Change to an aftermarket balancer that has the correct timing marks. This is likely the most expensive option, but has the additional benefit of allowing you to retain the '69 3-bolt crank pulley. Check clearances carefully if you use an aftermarket balancer. Some won't clear a '69 water pump without some minor grinding to the reinforcing ribs at the bottom of the pulley snout.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil pan has a rear sump . Do you know if I will have clearance problems.
If so do you have any suggestions .

Since this motor is set up for an electric fuel pump, I will have to replace the timing chain
cover to use a mechanical pump. What other provisions will I need to make.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Front sump oil pan is absolutely required for a '69 Cougar. You can use stock parts, or there are plenty of aftermarket options available.

As far as provision for a mechanical fuel pump, just swapping for an early timing cover and adding the eccentric on the cam gear should do it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The early timing cover will have the oil dipstick hole in it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts