Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351W in my brothers old Ford Pickup, that probubly has about 30 grand on the rebuild. I want to swap that motor into my cougar till I can get the original motor rebuilt.

What I need to know is, since the truck is a automatic and my cougar has a 4-speed, what do I need to buy to make this swap?

or, what do I need to make sure gets swaped of the original motor?

Tad.:confused:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
351W SWAP

ASSUMING THAT THE ORIGINAL ENGINE IN YOUR COUGAR WAS A 351W AS WELL. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU'LL HAVE IS THAT THE AUTOMATIC 351 DOES NOT HAVE TYHE PILOT BUSHING IN THE REAR OF THE CRANKSHAFT AS YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE FOR THE 4-SPEED. ALSO THE FLEX PLATE WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED AND THE HEAVIER FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH/PRESSURE PLATE ASSY INSTALLED. THE REST IS JUT ALL OF YOUR 4-SPEED STUFF. ALOT OF WORK IF YOU ARE ALREADY REBUILDING YOUR ORIGINAL 351W.. HOPE THIS HELPS.

VINTAGE RACERS RULE:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep its as 351W!

Would you by chance know how much time and money this might really cost me. If its too much I will just be patient and wait on my rebuild.....:(

Should'nt I be able to pull all of that off of the original 351?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
How much time? That depends on how fast you can yank a motor... I don't know what yor experience level is, but it sounds as if you've already yanked the motor out ofthe Cougar so you are half way there. You should be able to do this in a weekend if everything goes somewhat "normally".
You should be able to use the pressure plate, flywheel, etc from your original motor but I would invest the couple of bucks and buy a new pilot bushing. They are cheap and if you ding your old one taking it out or if it is worn you will be sorry that you didn't. Also, be prepared to swap the exhaust manifolds as I beleive that the truck will have different ones than your car. Those can be real ornery to get off. :angryfi: And if I remember right there is a bracket for the clutch linkage Z bar that is on the side of the block as well. That will have to be moved over. It is a lot of little stuff but it is doable - more so since you are putting in the same (351W) engine that you took out.
Cost ought to be minimal - pilot bushing, oil, coolant, gaskets, skinned knuckles....:p:
Hey guys - did I miss aything?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up a Doner Car!

I found a 69 coug for $500 locally and it runs STRONG! So I will not be stipping my brothers truck for the motor. Picked this one up yesterday......Salvage title. So it's a doner.

But it has a FMX tranny in it, so I kinda run into the same problem. I have a couple of freinds that are very knowledgable with cars but me I'm learning still. I know the basics, oil changes, gasket replacement, tune my carb, stuff like that but this is a learning experiance for me. Let me make sure I have all of the stuff listed to get this job done.

1. Pressure plate, flywheel, etc (What else is the etc. that I need)
2. Buy a new pilot bushing
3. Swap over the bracket for the clutch linkage Z bar that is on the side of the block.
4. Oil change, gaskets, etc.

Anything I missed?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You will most likely need to reuse your starter as well. I know that 289/302 have differnt starters depending on A/T or Standtard.
Carb linkage may be different, not sure.
In short, keep EVERYTHING from your old engine until you have the new one in and running. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
The bellhousing well be different as well (standard to auto)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Unless I misunderstand, you are only swapping out the engine, right? In which case the bell housing will still be in the car....:confused:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Motor swap

Between 289/302/351W, bell housing is the same, flywheel is the same, motor mounts are the same, may run into a problem with the water pump inlet on the wrong side and the clutch equalizer bar. The 351W uses a slightly shorter equalizer bar.... Have to install a pilot bushing...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Okay, now I'm getting confused.... :confused:
TLogan53 - you are replacing a 351W with a 351W, correct?
And the donor car is an automatic and your car (the one it is going in) is a manual transmission?
If yes to both of these, disregard the 289/302 and bellhousing swappings.
I mentioned 289/302 only in regards to the starter being different on Auto -vs- Manual trans.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Phew...

Thought that I was getting real Oldtimers! :p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You will need to use the starter from the 4 spd car, as the nose cones are a different . But the nose cones can be swapped between starters if needed. For instance the auto car has a new starter and you want to use it you can swap the nose from the 4spd car onto it. mm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts